RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 1989 Ford E350 motorhome. I have replaced the fuel…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 1989 Ford E350 motorhome. I have replaced the fuel pump assembly due to a bad sending unit and all has been well for about 5000 miles. Now, when the tank gets to 1/3 full the engine stutters when I try to accelerate. I can go 50mph but if I try to go faster it bogs down like it's starved for fuel. If I fill up, all is well till I get to 1/3 full again. After some research it seems like either the MAP or the fuel pressure regulator could be at fault. Based on the symptoms, what do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

No. Starts fine. Runs fine till I get 1/3 full

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, haven't done anything yet. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I get about 7.5mpg. Plenty of power when it runs well.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2018
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I’m Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

In my opinion, your float is not positioned correctly

when it says 1/3 it is lower, that is the reason for the fuel slugging in the tank it is too low, you need to remove the float and adjust

the float so it reads correct or refuel when it gets down to the 1/3 mark

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. When I fill it at 1/3 full I put 26 gal into a 40gal tank. 14 gal left. Give me a little credit.

HI

Thank you for the response

I am just trying to sort this out no harm meant

so you are saying it runs fine until it gets to 1/3 correct

then this is when the issue starts ??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as I said. Seems pretty predictable both in hot and cold weather. Thought it might be a vapor lock in the tank but stopped at half full once and opened the gas cap but it stuttered again at 1/3 full. Filling the tank corrects the problem. I will try to test the MAP tomorrow. Will also replace the fuel filter.

Hi

Thank you for the response,

I do not see an issue with the Map Sensor, for what it

is doing, if Map, it would do it all the time not at 1/3 of a tank

my thinking is the pickup tube, is faulty

I hope this helps you

RV Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the problem happens at 1/3 tank and the gauge is correct then you're losing fuel pressure either due to the pump sucking air or the inlet filter on the bottom of the pump is plugged with debris. You'll need to inspect for debris and clean the tank as necessary, if the filter is clean then have the pump assembly warrantied.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tank was dropped and inspected and cleaned last year when the fuel pump assembly was replaced. I have seen post about similar situations that point to the fuel pressure regulator. Before I attempt to replace it I would like an expert opinion on whether or not that could be a cause. It looks like it will be a tough job to replace.

If the problem happens due to fuel level then the problem can only be in the tank. It has to be a restriction or a bad pump.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I replaced the fuel filter but I have a full tank so it will be a while before I can test it again.I disagree with you that the problem has to be in the fuel tank. The head level, pressure due to the weight of the fluid above where it drains, can affect elements down stream.Is there a way to measure fuel flow while driving?
RV Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 29 days ago

Fuel pressure can be tested with a gauge.

If the problem only happens with the fuel level at a certain place or lower it isn't possible that the problem could be outside of the tank.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician