RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

On my 1998 fleetwood the parking brake switch is leaking and…

Customer Question
On my 1998 fleetwood...

On my 1998 fleetwood the green parking brake switch is leaking and I understand there is a manual replacement available to eliminate the parking brake mechanism that is potentially dangerous when it fails. Could you tell me about availability?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

I am referring to the nightmare parking brake actuator that potentially operates the parking brake when going down the road. Apparently there is a mechanism that allows you to throw away all the complexities and install a lever assembly referred to in youtube. This assembly is manual and located in the cab.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the shoes but while watching youtube we are told that this is a very faulty mechanism that operates when you do not want it to. If the fluid leaks out it often operates the parking brake while going down the road causing fires, accidents and transmission problems. I want to replace the entire actuator assembly with a manual lever located in the cab that I can operate and release manually. This is illustrated on youtube but we don't know where to buy the assembly.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 day by:
1/21/2018
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• I am attempting to get to and assist every single long waiting customer we have. I am willing to try and assist you. Do you still need help? Is there any more information you can provide which would assist me?