RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I'm trying to find out how to winterize the system, esp the…

I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find out how to winterize the system, esp the water heater.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your RV. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I have a Prowler 31G and I may not have enough antifreeze because there was only one gallon at the store. I don't know how to drain the water heater either.

1/18/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Personally, I do not fill my lines with antifreeze. I hate the taste even after flushing. I drain my tanks, open the low point drains, drain the water heater. Once all is empty I close all those valves and run the electric pump to drain that line from the fresh tank. Then I connect an air compressor to the fresh water inlet at 50 psi and run all my faucets one at a time cold then hot, and the toilet. Going through each about 3 times and about 2 minutes at each valve. Don't forget the outside shower hose. Then I drain the water heater once again. Finally, I dump 2 cups of antifreeze in each drain.

To drain the water heater, open the cover and you will see a plug you unthread on the bottom, often plastic. I replaced this with a metal pipe and a brass shut off valve so it is easier to drain. To speed up the draining process you open the pressure relief handle at the top of the water heater tank. Below is an image.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Can I upload my pic of my trailer's water heater apparatus? I don't understand how it will drain without spilling over some of the electrical contacts.
Do I need to turn off the water and run the faucets before or after? My gray tank is already open but the lines aren't yet drained. I was delaying because I was unsure of the order.
I can't find the drain plug under the trailer for the fresh tank. Can you show me a pic of it? It appears to be behind the wheels which may mean I can't reach it without laying on the icy ground.

Yes, you can upload pictures. There is an icon in your reply box to do so.

The water heater drain should be the lowest point on the tank and should not affect anything electrical there and if so it should not hurt it being the tank heater is not on.

If you are doing my method with air then you run the faucets with the air turned on. If you are filling the lines with antifreeze then you have to add the stuff at the place where you turn all the valves for winterizing and allow the electric pump to push the stuff through all lines and out the faucets.

Drain all your tanks last because you are going to be putting stuff into your sink and toilet drains which needs to be drained off.

Sorry, no picture of the fresh tank drain. I have to lay on the ground to get to mine.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Phone call session started

The water heater drain is the plastic plug in the bottom left. The pressure relief/vent is in the top right. No water will come out of the pressure relief. Yes drain the water heater first then once again when done.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic