RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2004 NEWMAR MOUNTAINAIRE WITH A Workhorse 8.1LV8OHV…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2004 NEWMAR MOUNTAINAIRE WITH A Workhorse 8.1LV8OHV 16V, the fanbelt broke, the vehicle overheated, 14,000 miles, I cant get it started, no thrown pistons, or holes in cylinders

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the fan belt in? Do you know if it needs to be replaced, or just adjusted?

The fan belt was replaced, as were the spark plugs and wires, and the tensioner

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 RV?

38 foot newmar mountainaire with a GM Workhorse engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to find someone near where i live, replaced spark plugs and wires and tensioner and the fan belt wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just it is a 2004 Newmar in Fairhope, Alabama 38 foot long mountainaire

1/18/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Will it at least crank?

Did it overheat to the point of losing coolant?

Do you know how to do some diagnostics on the vehicle?

What sort of info are you looking for so I know how to tailor my answer?

the fan belt was replaced, as were the spark plugs, the wires, and the tensioner on the belt, the engine will turn over but not start?
it didnt loose the coolant, and, it will crank, it wont start I want to find someone who can fix it without killing me on the cost

Let me find some shops in your area.

how can you find someone honest? that really knows the GMC Workhorse 8.1LV8OHC16V

These specifically state they work on RVs and are close to you. Now do understand this is chassis issue not an RV issue. It is just a GM 8.1 engine with an issue here. So most shops that have space and work on this engine can help. I work at a dealer but not an RV shop, however, I fix them all the time for certain repairs which I have space for. A local dealer may be even able to help. It comes down to space at the repair facility and that is all, because it is just an engine issue here.

1. RV’s Unlimited
    23360 Al 59
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    Phone number(###) ###-####/li>
  2. Camping World of South Alabama
    21282 Hwy 59 S
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    Phone number(###) ###-####/li>
  3. Gulf Coast RV Center
    25553 State Hwy 59
    Loxley, AL 36551
    Phone number(###) ###-####/p>

4. Foley Auto & RV Repair*****br />Foley, AL 36535
    Phone number(###) ###-####/p>

5. White Sands Rv
    19408 State Hwy 59
    Summerdale, AL 36580
    Phone number(###) ###-####/p>

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

GoogleI could have gotten this list from google, I don’t know what to do to replace the engine the engine must come out from the below I can’t figure out how to learn how to define the problem?

At this time engine replacement is not on the radar.

Sorry, you were not pleased with my list, I was just replying to this comment. I want to find someone who can fix it without killing me on the cost

Someone needs to verify there is compression, spark, injector pulse, and fuel pressure. The first thing they will do is check for codes using a scan tool which will speed up the diagnostic process.

Are you still needing help?

I appreciate the too do list, it isn’t practical to tow my Newmar to each of the businesses, I have never had a good result from a camping world, and I had Rv unlimited work on a different Rv early last year and I ended up paying quite a bit more than the amount estimated what do I owe you?

All you need to do is rate the answer on your screen to pay me.

Do not tow it to each place, a call to feel them out would work much better. Never been to your area, but who knows a local shop to you may be able to address this. For example its 6 degrees outside in TN and I could diagnose this in a Walmart parking lot in about 2 hours, fixing it though may require some simple tools and tasks or more involved.

You just need to check around to see if a competent shop is willing and has the space on there lot to do so.

I don’t know how to rate you thanks for your help I am satisfied cheers

Thanks

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic