RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Where do I find the filters that may need to be replaced on…

Where do I find...

Where do I find the filters that may need to be replaced on my Dometic Furnace?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your RV. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

It seems like the thermostat isn't reading correctly. I have it set to 76 cause it's super cold here, but I know it's not 76 in the fifth wheel. Something isn't right. Not sure what to check

1/17/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Which Dometic thermostat to you have? Analog slide control or digital?

These furnaces don't use any filters. Is the furnace on and putting out any heat out of the registers?

It does put out heat. Sometimes it just doesn't kick on when it should

Yes, I got it. That is a Dometic Single Zone thermostat.

Are you plugged into shore power? Batteries have been serviced recently? LP working pressure at the tank regulator checked in the last year?

We are hooked up the RV park power. So that is fine. Batteries are almost brand new. Propane works, but regulator has not been checked

There are a lot of factors that can cause this. There are a number of things that need to be checked on a regular basis to be sure that the furnace will come on and perform properly. Incoming DC voltage (12 VDC) and proper LP pressure are two of the more important ones. It is a good idea to check the output of the converter on a regular basis to be sure that the charging voltage is in range. A small digital multimeter is good for that. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use.

Can I check the regulator? Or does this need to be done by a professional? I mean is there a tool or device I can use to check it myself?

It may be that the thermostat might not be working properly. You need a manometer to check the pressure and most shops have one. You can take the regulator off and into them for testing. Most are adjustable. If you have one that is out of specs I would go with a MEC Marshall brand as I have used those in my shop for many years and found them to be the most reliable. A new thermostat isn't expensive and easy to change out. No real good way to test it for temp accuracy.

Any chance that mice may have gotten into the ductwork? They can interfere with air flow or chew holes in the ducting.

It's possible....I will check that also. It seems like our bathroom is super hot compared to the entire fifth wheel
it wasn't like that before we took it to Camping World to get it fixed....they replaced the memory board or whatever you call it because it wasn't kicking on at all

If this still has the OEM control board in the furnace it may be getting tired and have a broken solder joint which will cause erratic operation and can make it hard to start. Replacement with an after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics can solve that. I tend to think part of this is low LP pressure. All regulators have pressure issues as they age.

Sorry to say that Camping World doesn't have the best reputation on here for good repair service. Lots of complaints here.

Yeah. They suck LOL

They should have checked the pressure while it was there. In my shop it is the first thing we do in all LP powered appliances. Perhaps check on a good mobile tech who works in your area. Most RV Parks can recommend at least one.

Dometic doesn't make furnaces, but if can attach a photo of the exhaust port area outside I can tell which one you have and supply a link to a Service Manual for you. Good to have!

Ok thank you. One thing to mention....when I don't think it's working properly, when I turn the furnace off and let it sit for about a minute and then turn it back on, it seems to work. It also does this when the AC isn't kicking on when I think it should. Same deal. I'll turn off the thermostat, let it sit and then turn it back on. It comes back on.

RV furnaces are most always made by either Atwood or Suburban.

It might be in the thermostat. Not expensive and easy to replace.

See the attached link for a copy of the Suburban Manual. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/suburbantech.pdf

You probably have a later SF model. See this link for more on that. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/SFseriesservice.pdf

That model can have some issues in the ignitor as they age. It tends to get burned off on the end and can make ignition more difficult, especially if the LP pressure is too low.

Ok thank you for the help
Will I be able to access this conversation after it's over?

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. And you can return to this posting thread at any time. No time limits on follow ups. I am here almost every day.

Great thank you

10-4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification