RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

According to my owners manal the refer's thermostat HAS BEEN…

Hi, according to my...

Hi, according to my owners manal the refer's thermostat HAS BEEN OVERHEATED AND NEEDS SERVICE

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

I have a Dometic RM 3962 refer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1987 gulf stream

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

That would be my preferance

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am also getting an E# ***** E4 error mesages

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Just an E-4 error?

An E-4 error on this model indicates that the incoming DC voltage is either too high (unlikely) or too low. If you aren't plugged into shore power OR the batteries or converter are not performing adequately this is likely to happen. See the attached link for a copy of the Dometic Service Manual for this model. Error codes are explained on page 25. If you have a small digital multimeter we can easily find out which one this is and take the necessary steps to correct it. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM3762%20&%20RM3962.pdf

e-3 and E4
Right now I am just wanting to make sure that is what is causing the refidg to not work, and is replacing the thermostat something a reasonably handy person can do? it is only an E3 now.'
right
I have been having trouble with the gen erator and the RV battery going dead all the time. I just jump started both of them today

That is usually from the fridge being out of level. It can be from a cooling unit that is failing OR from anything impeding the flow of air through the cooling unit. If this installation is in a slideout then it may be something to do with improper installation. I see this frequently in my own shop as well as on this site.

The battery may need to be load tested and the converter checked to be sure that it is working properly. An E-3 error can be triggered by low incoming DC voltage if it drops down below about 11 VDC.

the RV is not level

If you have a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so this is easy to check. A good converter should be putting out about 13.7 VDC. And you can ruin the cooling unit if this is operated out of level! Turn this off and get it leveled up and then turn it back on again.

some one swiped my scissior jacks, so I will go replace them tomorrow and get this thing leveled out.Is the generator and rv battery acting up because the vehicle is not level/?

No. Those have no real bearing on those items so long as it isn't way out of level.

now the refer is displaying a solid EO error

T​hat has to do with the electrical issue. You are going to have to solve that issue as well. Best have the battery(s) load tested and get a meter so we can find out if the converter is charging them correctly. If you are dry camping you better have more than one battery or you will be running the generator all the time.

this is sounding more complicated than I feel like I can do. How do I find a shop that specializes in this issue?
how likely is it that if I get the RV level these problems will resolve themselves?

Perhaps just call in a good mobile tech to assist you. Most RV parks and shops can recommend one or two. And checking the charging system isn't hard with a meter. I can direct you in that. Leveling won't solve the electrical issues. Are you dry camping on just one battery?

I am connect to power. have two generator batteries and one truck battery. They all are only a few months old with very limited use until xmas
Is the EO error message likely to be a electrical fault problem

Yes, and try to reset the hi limit switch on the flue stack and see if that allows it to clear.

If these aren't Deep Cycle batteries they won't perform well in this application.

Ok, that sentence went way above my knowledge

Push the black button in to reset it.

Marine or Deep Cycle batteries are for RV use and constructed differently. Automotive batteries won't perform well when they become slightly discharged.

If you are plugged into shore power you shouldn't be running the generator. No need to.

on the panel outside the refer or the three buttons inside the freezer. I got bad advise on the I guess
I am not using it, just trying to get it to hold a charge so I could use it if I needed to

T​he reset is on the rear of the fridge on the flue stack which is that vertical silver column. And you can't be plugged into shore power and run the generator at the same time. That can cause electrical damage.

Oh, geeze, did that most of today the black buttion has to be accessed from outside?

Yes. It is on the rear of the fridge. Open up the inspection panel and you cans see it.

IF you don't level this it will do it again! And you can ruin the cooling unit by doing this! About $1,000 for that repair. Level this first!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Ok, thank you very much. I CAN SEE THAT WE ARE GOING TO BE CHATTING AGAIN!

You are quite welcome! Get back to me once you get this leveled up and we can go from there.

Will do!

10-4

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification