RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My furnace cuts in and out the flame go on and few seconds…

Hi my furnace cuts...

Hi my furnace cuts in and out the flame go on and few seconds it cuts out then repeats this continuously

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Montana 3455a 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing it my self put in a new propane regulato

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok what do you need

T​hat can be caused by several things. Depending on the make and model it might be some moisture in one of the connections, especially the control board. It can be the control board itself as those are not good quality and made in China and many won't last even a few months. It can be lint in the sail switch or even incoming DC voltage that is too low. That usually happens when you aren't plugged into shore power or the batteries are failing. Those are the most common. If you can give me the make and model of the furnace I can supply a link to the Service Manual and offer some suggestions on testing to track down the actual cause of the problem here. Not that hard as a rule. Hope that gives you some direction here. Please get back to me for more as all follow ups and exchanges between us are covered and included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Hydro Flame model 8535-IV DCLP. sn/2681091

See the attached link for a copy of that Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. On many of these the control board is accessed pretty easily from the outside when there is an outside panel over the furnace. If not, the furnace has to be pulled out from the inside to access the controls and board. Which do you have? http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Access from the outside easy to get at

Then you can access the control board and check the connections. How old a furnace is this?

4years old but not used much A bit of history the first time it started , it would cut in and out of 3 times then the fan only would run for a bit and shut off the red light would come on and blink 3 times . Then another time it would work ok with no problem So it's difficult to predict which it will do . Right now it cuts in and out continuously without any red light flasing on the panel

In the shop we start any diagnosis by checking the incoming DC voltage to be sure that is adequate and the LP working pressure at the tank regulator. If that is new then you can probably rule that out. Most shops have a board tester if you take that off and into them. It just unplugs. OEM boards are not good quality and I never use them in my shop. Dinosaur Electronics makes a good one called a "Fan 50 Plus" board and those are sold many places online.

Any pets in the coach? Pet hair in the sail switch can do this.

Where is the sail switch yes we have two long hair cats this is a Fifth wheel RV

I would check the sail switch for pet hair and lint. It is on the reverse of the fan cage. See the exploded view in the manual I gave you.

Thanks for the info it's dark here so I will do some of the diagnostics tomorrow

10-4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification