RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

The furnace burner will ignight, run for 10sec, shut down…

Customer Question
The furnace burner will...

The furnace burner will ignight, run for 10sec, shut down and then reignight, for 10 seconds, shut down and reignight for about 10 second and then the furnace will shut off, I get a 3 lite flash code that the instructions say is an ingnition lockout , what if anything can I do here to get the system to stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The lite is on the circuit board on the furnace

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 RV?

8535-IV-DCLP

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have not used the RV in about 5 years. We are going to a horse show this coming weekend and I was getting every thing turned on to go. If I can fix the furnace myself Iwould like to do that, I have some knowledge of mechanical things. I tried to lite it a few times, even went in and lite the stove top and let that run for about 10 minutes ot make sure the air was out of the gas line

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

SO there could be several items causing the ignition lockout, it could be LP pressure, electrode problem, circuit board or the burner could be restricted.

Would be hard for you to check the LP pressure, go to the main valve on the tank and shut it, SLOWLY open it back up, sometimes if that valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure, I understand if other items are working but the pressure should be checked with a manometer.

Assuming the pressure is good for the LP and from your last comment about not using it in 5 years what I would do is blow out the exhaust really good, sometimes mud daubers can get inside and make nests or other rodents and when that happens it chokes the unit off as air flow is crucial. Sitting 5 years is a long time and I would make sure nothing is in the burn chamber. Make sure all the vents inside are also clear and nothing blocking them.

After that I would have a RV shop test the circuit board, a special board tester can be used to make sure the board is good, if the board checks out good I might replace the electrode or what does the sparking it sends a signal to the board and if the board does not see the signal through the electrode it will shut it down.

Hope this points you in the right direction, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Thanks... Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Robert
I checked the exhaust, OK, I get hot exhaust every time the burner igniths for about 5 second and then is cools off, how do I check the burn chamber. Please forgive me for my typing, I fat finger a lot

Get an air nozzle and blow out it really good, you will need safety glasses, to help you out some more click HERE for a service manual, it will go into some more details on each item I talked about.... I have seen it quite a bit when units sit mud daubers or wasps can get inside and the 5 years sitting caught my attention.

Hope this helps... Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic