RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

If you bypass the fuel pump how does the carb draw,fuel from…

If you bypass the fuel...
If you bypass the fuel pump how does the carb
draw,fuel from a gas container?
Just elevate it?
1/14/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is this for a generator?

I wrote a partial narrative 8n that block. But this system wouldn't let me continue
I don't want to go more than $5 until I get an answer.
Can you access the partial narrative i wrote about the problem?
its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.
its an onan 4000. Did you not get the rest of what I wrote?

Sorry for the delay.........I had to take a phone call. Yes, I got that this is an Onan 4000 unit. And yes, you can use a spare gas tank and line held near the set if you want to check to see if your line is either leaking air or the intake in the tank might be plugged.

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?

Only the part about the fuel pump and can you use a gas can.

If the fuel in the gas tank is below about 1/3 tank it may not be enough to run the set. They don't want you running out of as out in the boonies.

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.

Just tell me what the symptoms are........

This is what it shows for your question:

draw,fuel from a gas container?

Just elevate it?

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.
its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.
its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.

That is usually one of two things. Either the fuel filter is plugged up OR the fuel pump is failing. If you are replacing the pump you want to install a new filter anyway. Amazon has both. Not hard to change out.

I​t can run a long time before it quits on a bad pump.

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.I have opened the float bowl drain, the first time it was drip....drip....drip.I have squirted about a can of carb cleaner , and some Gun Scrubber directly into the float bowl as,well as the air intake. That seemed to help some b7t the oroblem still persists. Aftwr the carb cleaner the float bowl emptied in a steady stream.

My experience is that a new fuel filter and pump usually solve this. Do you have the Onan Service Manual for this unit?

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.I have opened the float bowl drain, the first time it was drip....drip....drip.I have squirted about a can of carb cleaner , and some Gun Scrubber directly into the float bowl as,well as the air intake. That seemed to help some b7t the oroblem still persists. Aftwr the carb cleaner the float bowl emptied in a steady stream.In November at high altitude the gen worked fine. The problem started in new jersey 8n md december.
its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.I have opened the float bowl drain, the first time it was drip....drip....drip.I have squirted about a can of carb cleaner , and some Gun Scrubber directly into the float bowl as,well as the air intake. That seemed to help some b7t the oroblem still persists. Aftwr the carb cleaner the float bowl emptied in a steady stream.In November at high altitude the gen worked fine. The problem started in new jersey 8n md december.Yes I got them on a pdf from cummins. That's how I was able to determine a fault 36

Fuel pumps can quit any time. I believe that this is the problem.

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.I have opened the float bowl drain, the first time it was drip....drip....drip.I have squirted about a can of carb cleaner , and some Gun Scrubber directly into the float bowl as,well as the air intake. That seemed to help some b7t the oroblem still persists. Aftwr the carb cleaner the float bowl emptied in a steady stream.In November at high altitude the gen worked fine. The problem started in new jersey 8n md december.Yes I got them on a pdf from cummins. That's how I was able to determine a fault 36Ok, thanks, ***** ***** reolacing that or having it replaced. But 8n doesnt seem to me that it should fail with just under 200 hours, even if the motorhome (and generator) is about 10 years old.

Not surprising at all. I have had several in my shop fail with less than 100 hrs on them. AirTex makes a good replacement for less than $50.

And you are quite welcome! Please get back to me if you need more later as there is not any time limit on follow ups.

its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.I have opened the float bowl drain, the first time it was drip....drip....drip.I have squirted about a can of carb cleaner , and some Gun Scrubber directly into the float bowl as,well as the air intake. That seemed to help some b7t the oroblem still persists. Aftwr the carb cleaner the float bowl emptied in a steady stream.In November at high altitude the gen worked fine. The problem started in new jersey 8n md december.Yes I got them on a pdf from cummins. That's how I was able to determine a fault 36Ok, thanks, ***** ***** reolacing that or having it replaced. But 8n doesnt seem to me that it should fail with just under 200 hours, even if the motorhome (and generator) is about 10 years old.Do you figure that would be one of the problems with people NOT using the things?I've put about 50 hours on since I bought it early november.
its an Onan microquite 4000.Did you get the rest of my question and information? I wrote a partial narrative but the system wouldn't let me complete it.Did you get the rest of my narrative?Then why did I spend the time writing it............Shall I start over? I have tried to diagnose it myself.It will run for 2 minutes or somewhat longer, 10 -20 then stop. Once it ran for 2 hours then stopped. The flashing light shows fault code 36.Turning rhe altitude adjustment dial has no effect. I have changed the spark plug and air filter but bth looked good.I have removed the fuel line and cranked the engine, the fuel flow looks good.I have opened the float bowl drain, the first time it was drip....drip....drip.I have squirted about a can of carb cleaner , and some Gun Scrubber directly into the float bowl as,well as the air intake. That seemed to help some b7t the oroblem still persists. Aftwr the carb cleaner the float bowl emptied in a steady stream.In November at high altitude the gen worked fine. The problem started in new jersey 8n md december.Yes I got them on a pdf from cummins. That's how I was able to determine a fault 36Ok, thanks, ***** ***** reolacing that or having it replaced. But 8n doesnt seem to me that it should fail with just under 200 hours, even if the motorhome (and generator) is about 10 years old.Do you figure that would be one of the problems with people NOT using the things?I've put about 50 hours on since I bought it early november.Ok, will do.

Today's gas is very hard on fuel lines and fuel pump diaphragms. They age quickly.

I have bought a new pump and filter directly from Cummins.Due mainly to weather I haven't been able to install it yet. When I can get that done, i'll get back to you.In doing some further research I think that is,quite likely the problem. I do want to get it running as i want to use the motorhome. And spend some time in warmer climes. I could of course go w/o the generator, but it is convenient.Is it worthwhile to "dissect" the pump and find out what went wrong with it? What would one look for?

No. Sealed units and not worth messing with it.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification