RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

120 power just shuts down, no breakers kicked, the the

Customer Question
120 power just shuts...

120 power just shuts down, no breakers kicked, the the switch just wuits, the one that has two switches side by side in box, one for shore pwr. the other for gen. pwr.just replaced the box today and it quit in four hrs.got me befuddled!help

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

05 cardinal 36L fiver, four slides

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 RV?

36L fifth wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

What car? I'm talking about an rv

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have an experienced rv tech(32 years) working with me. replacing the the switch box I mentioned in enitial question.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Shore power connections are good, power at service panel is constant.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

ok

Are you talking about the automatic transfer switch? Any adapters being used on the shore cord? Were you trying to hook up both power sources at the same time? That is asking for trouble and can burn up a transfer switch. Get back to me and let me know if that is what we are working with and what happened. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

on auto transfer sw., no adapters and not trying both pwr. sorces at once. nothing unusual, pwr. is fine then the next minute 120 goes away. no noise, no breakers popped

On which source? And do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? That is the quickest way to track down the problem. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing.

I have an expensive multi-meter. source being shore pwr. I have 120v coming to auto transfer sw. nothing going into coach. this is the second ats box I had. thought the first was faulty, c/w replaced it and now the new one lasted only four hours. I know if voltage goes below 90v the switch opens, is 2330 here in fl. and raining. if u have any suggestions please forward, will check mail in the a m. thank you, ***** *****

Y​ou need to be sure you have good AC voltage on BOTH feeds into the transfer switch and out again UNDER load. IF NOT, then go back to the source and see if that is the problem. Bad breaker failing under load or bad pedestal. Try the generator as the source and see if this does the same thing. IF SO, then best go into the load center and see if that is the problem area. Let me know what you find.

Just checking back in to see how this checked out? Please let me know if you still need some assistance here.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification