RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I went to my RV storage garage Saturday to take it out and…

I went to my...

I went to my RV storage garage Saturday to take it out and fill fuel tank. It is a 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35m w/Cummins 340. I found both chassis and house batteries dead, even though the shoreline is always plugged into a 30 amp home type outlet (had that changed to a “RV Park” type outlet today). I did charge the chassis and started it, but suddenly realized the more serious problem is that my house lights, windshield shade, microwave, and more do not work even with shoreline plugged in. Also both the Power Control System Monitor Panel and the RVComfort control panel were off and unresponsive, and on the Test Panel Battery AUX displays no data.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Interior lights. Called motorhome “house lights.”

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was trying to resolve myself if possible. It stores inside heated garage so it isn’t winterize. It is under warranty, but my experience is that taking it to a Fleetwood dealer will likely mean weeks or months before it’s fixed. I’d have to pay for winterizing then hope it was ready for our annual Feb/March trip to Phoenix, at which time we’d have to pay for DEwinterizing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that’s pretty complete.

1/9/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I guess my first question is you were using an adapter plugged into a 30 amp outlet and it was not wired correctly? OR were you plugged into a standard 110 household outlet?

Will the generator start and if so does all the power come back online?

Robert

It WAS a standard home 30am outlet. That’s now changed to RV type 30amp.No, the generator will not start. I was able to start only the motorhome to get its diesel tank topped off.RandyI see the option of calling you by phone. That might be a good choice, but I’d need to drive back to my garage 30 minutes away.I was using an appropriate adaptor to connect my shoreline.

OK

SO the problem here is if you plugged into a 30 amp that was 220 volt like a welder or dryer outlet it can be very damaging to the RV. It makes me nervous when you say Standard home outlet and then changed to a 30 amp RV type.

IF you want to do a call there is that option and that works for me, I have to eat dinner soon and should be available in about 1 hour. I can cover some items on the AC power.

Robert

It was not and is not now a 220 circuit.110 v only.

OK

Normally on a 50 amp service you have 2 hot legs of 110 volt coming into the RV to equal 220 volts, not 220 direct, unless you have an ALL electric coach meaning NO LP appliances.

IF you want to do a call in about a hour I can send you a phone request.... Might be able to cover more on the phone...

Robert

Ok. I’ll head back out to my garage. Will you initiate the call? Or to I click the call button in an hour?

Click the call button in about a hour and I will respond...

Thanks Robert

Will do. Thanks

I am ready whenever you are...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Phone call session started

Let me know if you still need more help on this, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can..

Robert