RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2016 Highland Ridge Open Range 3x with an Atwood…

Customer Question
I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Highland Ridge Open Range 3x with an Atwood AFL40 furnace that has been overheating, similar to this issue that I found while searching for info on my furnace issues: https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/a66qe-atwood-furnace-high-limit-switch-will-shut-furnace.html

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

It is a 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 RV?

As stated above, it's a 2016 Highland Ridge Open Range 3x. I've had the RV checked over for air flow, blocked ducts, that it is drawing the proper amount of electricity, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

The thermal switch has been replaced and it worked for a week, and now the problem has returned. Highland Ridge recommends adding a 2nd air return to the existing one under the steps leading to the front room in the RV.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Atwood told the repairman that this furnace can get up to 300 degrees

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
1/8/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

It sounds like the ducting was not sufficient either on the intake air or the number and size of the vents. They should have read the installation instructions! Another thing that can cause overheating like this is low working pressure on the LP from the regulator as it makes the mixuture too lean. That should be checked and adjusted when needed at least once a year. Does the OEM plan on making any of these changes under warranty? They should. Do you have a copy of the installation manual for this? It would show the minimum size of the intake ducting and the number and diameter of the supply ducts. Let me know and I can supply that if you need it. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Do you have 4 or 5 supply ducts? With only 4 you need to have about 140 square inches of intake ducting for a furnace of this size. If you have 5 supply ducts of 4" then you can reduct this down to about 90 square inches as a minumum. All furnaces will overheat if you don't move the air through them fast enough. Hope that proves helpful here. I have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time and not the first time this has been encountered.

LOL - On reading the installation instructions.. that would be on the RV manufacturer, Highland Ridge! I'm reasonably certain the RV repairman checked the LP pressure, but I will confirm that with him. I do have a copy of the installation manual - I recall seeing it in with my other RV manuals. Based on my conversation with Highland Ridge this morning, I believe they do consider this under warranty. I submitted the first repair receipt to them in order to claim coverage/reimbursement.The RV has 5 ducts - four terminate inside the RV and the 5th terminates somewhere in the undercarriage by design. This morning when I called Highland Ridge, they recommended adding the 2nd air return. I just wondered if adding that second air return will resolve the problem (so, once the 2nd one gets installed, both steps will be air returns for the furnace). Right now, I have a small fan pointed at the air return, have removed the panel to the furnace enclosure and also left the external hatch door ajar several inches to augment air flow. It still overheats and I have to reset the furnace, but right now it only tends to overheat when late at night when the temps really dip and the furnace runs longer. It's a huge pain to keep running outside in the cold and snow in the middle of the night, so I really hope to resolve it asap.

What is the measurement on the intake grill now?

D​id you miss my last response? I had asked about the size of your present intake grill area.

I'm not sure what you mean by intake grill area. Do you mean the size of the air return for the furnace?

Yes. How many square inches is that? This will give you an idea of how much, if any, it needs to be increased to keep the limit switch from tripping out.