RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Americana Dometic gas/electronic refrigerator stopped…

Customer Question
My Americana Dometic gas/electronic...

My Americana Dometic gas/electronic refrigerator stopped working completely.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

My refrigerator stopped working. Gas/electric Dometic Americana

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2001 Montana by Keystone

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the fuse. Turning it off and on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Half the elements were covered with ice I noticed it a few days before it stopped

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
1/7/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

DO you have the actual model number of the Dometic, should start with a RM and then number... Which fuse did you change was it in the main fuse panel with other fuses?

I assume when you say not working the control panel is NOT turning on at all?

Robert

RM 2652, the control shows it's on
No I can't afford another 26 bucks

OK

That makes a huge difference if it shows it is ON.... SO it is not cooling at all? Have you tried BOTH LP and AC power with the same results?

Also how cold is it in your area?

No worries on the phone service, we can go back and forth as much as you like in this format...

I've tried both AC/LP it's not cooling at all.

How cold is it in your area?

It's been in the trend last week at night, this week it's been 20 - 50 degrees
Teens last week

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response..... Have some items to cover....

So no cooling on both LP and AC power could indicate a thermistor problem or cooling unit issue, to throw a wrench into everything the cold could cause the fridge to stop working as well but from my experience that happens when the temp gets in the single digits.

IF you have a volt meter you can test the thermistor. Click HERE and see page 11. IF you do not have a volt meter what you can do is unplug the thermistor from the P-2 connector on the circuit board and the fridge should default to full cooling.

IF the thermistor test good or it does not cool with it unplugged then it could be the cooling unit. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. For a rupture you might show some symptoms such as a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge or smell ammonia. For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on BOTH LP and AC power. Once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be changed. SOMETIMES tapping the absorber coils with a rubber mallet or pulling the fridge and flipping it a few times and then letting it stand level for a few hours will help but chances are slim.

What you can also do to see if the cooling unit is bad is to disconnect the AC heating element from the circuit board, get an old lamp cord cut the end off and then wire nut the element to the lamp cord and plug it in, this would bypass all the electronics and you are providing a heating source, fridge can be off and the box should get cold after a few hours, no cooling bad cooling unit.

Sometimes in very cold weather you can put a drop light on the back of the fridge to keep it running. It needs heat transfer to work properly and when it is very cold they can actually stop working.

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...Robert