RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 fleetwood with a Xantrex freedom 458

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 fleetwood with a Xantrex freedom 458 inverter/charger that I believe is over charging my batteries. I just put in 4 new house batteries a month ago and I found that the acid was being boiled out of the batteries. I leave the rv plugged in when not using.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

My meter in the rv says that the batteries are at about 12.5 volts.I looked inside all 4 batteries and they are low. I want to know how I can test the charger to make sure it is shutting off when it should. I had to replace the motor starting batteries today because they would not hold a charge. They were 9 years old so I dont know if they were being overcharge or not

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I dont want to keep putting in batteries if they are just going to get fried. This is why I need to find out how to test that it is working correctly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
1/7/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Most RV batteries will only go about 3 years on house batteries and maybe more like 5 or 6 on chassis batteries. If you got 9 years out of yours you did really well! Do you have a remote on the inverter that shows the charging rate? This should go into float mode once the batteries are fully charged which is a reduced rate of slightly over 13 VDC. Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? That would be helpful here. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. Get back to me with this information and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

I have a remote and yes I have a volt meter.

Set your meter on DC volts scale and check the charging voltage at the batteries and compare it to what your remote reads. Let me know what you have and if they vary. How old are these batteries? I can tell you that when plugged into shore power all the time you have to check the water in them at least once a month. All wet cell batteries will loose water as the charge.

I just bought the 4 house batteries about a month ago and I am just installing the two new engine batteries as they would no longer hold a charge. They were 2009 batteries. What I am worried about is that last week when I went out to check my rv there was a wet spot under where the 4 house batteries are located on my rv. W\hen I opened the door on the rv the top of the batteries were wet. I opened one of the batteries up and the level was down to just above the top of the plates. I'm worried that the charger is overcharging.

It may be that is the case, but we need to get some readings to find out. Are these all 6 VDC Deep Cycle batteries?

the 4 house batteries are 6 volt, the two engine batteries are 12 v

W​as just one battery low on water? It may have a partial short and be overheating. It would surprise you at how often new batteries go bad. If this was in my shop I always load test them no matter how new they are.

No chance the wiring might be wrong? Did you take a voltage reading at the outgoing cables with it plugged in?

J​ust checking back in to see how this turned out?

gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic