RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My tankless hot water is not working correctly. I can turn…

Customer Question
My tankless hot water...

My tankless hot water is not working correctly. I can turn on / off switch. If hot air comes out of exhaust, I have hot water, sometimes only 5 minutes or so, then cold water, Cole exhaust. I then hit little white push button to reset and same thing happens. It’s a 2015 Itasca cambria with the Girardi tankless water heater GSWH 1M. Please walk me thru procedure top to bottom or iam gonna need service. Thank you Ross Buck(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

My tankless hot water isn’t working correctly. It’s a Girardi GSWH 1M. I turn on / off switch, the furnace kicks on, if warm air I have hot water, sometimes 5 minutes or less. I then hit reset button and same thing happens. Please walk me thru procedure to get hot water and keep it working. Thanks Ross Buck(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015 Itasca cambria

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Iam trying to fix it, I’ve read manual . Not sure what iam doing incorrectly

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
1/4/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That is pretty typical of that make and model. They are extremely fussy about both the LP pressure and the water pressure. And hard water makes them easy to gum up with calcium deposits. I only sold one of these in my shop and then had to take it back out again and refund the money as Girard couldn't get it to work right. I have only found one make of these to work well all the time and it is made by Precision Temp. About $1,100 or so. You can call Girard Customer Service and perhaps they can offer something more, but as I said, the LP pressure has to be maintained exactly correct and the water pressure cannot vary any. Sorry that wasn't the best information here, but that has been my personal experience with these. If you would like another opinion on this here let me know and I can opt out of the question. If you need more please let me know as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

As I continue to mess with the unit, I started with on switch, I just let it run, it started out with hot exhaust and after 3-5 minutes with cooled off. I never touched faucet that time. Any thoughts?

I don't have much positive to say about these. I still have the new one sitting in my shop as the supplier I got it from wouldn't even take it back. You can tinker with this all day and maybe get it to run.........just a question of how long. I get lots of questions like yours about this unit. You need to be sure that the LP supply is up over half full and that the working pressure is exactly correct which is 12 WCI and that there is no variation in water pressure. Other than those two things you are probably looking at some new parts. Best to discuss this with their Technical department. If you don't have that let me know.

I​f you Google this make and model you will find videos and lots of Owner forums about these and their problems.

Here is another link that might be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5Rwk_-MhQ