RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have a cummins ISL 400 with a road relay 4 that just locked…

Customer Question
have a cummins ISL 400...
have a cummins ISL 400 with a road relay 4 that just locked out the engine from starting after techs replaced filters etc... wont start without a password ***** i never knew. never had this issue as i did use the engine lock options
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
1/4/2018
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi Doug, Did you get this resolved? Not sure what happened but somehow this got lost in the archives and I caught it looking at my open question list. Did you still need help or if not let me know and we can get this closed out for you.

Not yet, road relay is temporary removed...I downloaded cummins free software and purchased inline 6 adapter in hopes of reading the password ***** seems to be on the road relay...have tried it yet, a little concerned about locking engine and this not allowing me to unlock it..��
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Anti-Theft
Related sections: Keypad-Entry Screens, Units of Measure
The Anti-theft feature deters vehicle theft by requiring the driver to
enter a password, using the RoadRelay 4 keypad, before allowing
the engine to start. Anti-theft will work with Cummins Celect Plus
(revision 4 software and later), ISB, ISC, ISL, ISM, ISX, and
Signature 600 engines.
Important Note:
The engine control module determines whether this feature is ON or
OFF. ALL Cummins engines leave the factory with Anti-theft turned OFF.
Also, the key must be in the ON position in order for the engine to be
locked or unlocked.
A customer desiring to use this feature must visit a distributorship or
certified dealership and request to have INSITE™ (Cummins authorized
service tool) turn the feature to ON (There may be a fee). In addition,
while connected, it is VITAL that the customer choose their password *****
passwords (all numeric) and write them to the ECM at this time. The
factory default passwords are all 000000's and can not be changed via
the RoadRelay keypad initially. Once changed to some meaningful
sequence, the user can work with their selection of password ***** change
via the RoadRelay keypad.

RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Selecting the Anti-theft Mode
Anti-theft modes affect how the engine is locked.
The four choices for the anti-theft mode are:
• Off The anti-theft feature is off.
• Manual The driver locks the engine by entering a
password.
• Semi-Automatic The driver locks the engine by selecting
"Yes" when asked to "Arm Vehicle
Security” at key-off.
• Automatic The engine is automatically locked after the
ignition key is turned off.
Read "How to Lock the Engine" for more details.
To select the Anti-theft mode press and select "Security Mode".
Use or to select the mode you wish to use. Press to
select the mode. Press to quit. If the RoadRelay 4 is in "Fleet
Mode" you will not be able to change this setting. (Fleet mode can
only be turned ON or OFF using INFORM™ or PowerSpec™
office software).
Security Mode
Automatic
The user must enter the password.
Enter Password
??????

RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

I have the road relay user manual if you do not but if you turn the feature off or you can set your own password.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Can the inline 6 software read the password ***** disable it..because I don't know what the prior user used...where is the ECM located just encase someone wrote it on the module
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

The Engine ECM is mounted to the LH side of the engine block. Maybe there is a drivers manual in the cab they might have written it down. If not a Dealer will need to plug in to do a factory reset on the system and reset your passwords.

RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

This will be any Cummins Authorized shop that can help.

Sorry that has been done I was referring to the road relay that I am told will resend the lockout code if reconnected. So I am hoping to connect the inline*****relay (powered separately so not connected to ECM) and disable/read or change password
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Thanks for the update. Do you know if this is road relay 4 or 5, etc?

Road relay 4
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi Doug, I have have both the installation guide and user guides if you do not have these or still need help with this. Once accepted let me know in the chat window and I will know to post the links on my next login.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson