RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Water froze. Now have cold water but no hot water. Just wait…

Water froze. Now have...

Water froze. Now have cold water but no hot water. Just wait or?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Old! lol.. 1998 37ft Layton

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 RV?

Layton- travel trailer. Requires large truck to haul.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes- myself. In the woods. Had a heater on water lines yesterday & saw small leak were line had frozen. Got cold water within the hour but still no hot water.

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Yes- water line is hooked up to a septic tank. Using as temp housing until house is built. Line runs down outside wall of trailer in back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No- pipes are heat wrapped & extra insulation on them. temps been in single digits. Thanks

1/3/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay. Just tried lighting pilot light & it won't light. : <

Y​ou may need to put some heat into the area below the floorline in one of the compartment bays to add some heat down there. We use a shop light and about 100 watt bulb. Open up all the cabinet doors and allow the heat in all the access spaces inside that you can. If the water inside the water heater is frozen it will take some time to thaw that and it may have damaged the tank depending on how badly it froze up. What is the make and model of the water heater?

How full is the LP tank and when did you last have the LP regulator checked for the pressure adjustment? That should be done at least once a year. When ambient temps get below freezing you have to have at least 1/3 tank of fuel in order to boil off enough vapor to get good LP performance. If the pressure is too low that makes it more difficult.

The LP is full- just refilled it. All cupboards are open & have full cold water in both faucets. No compartment bays other than on the sides. Have extra insulation & bales hay all the way around and underneath. Trailer been set up now 4 months so not sure why problem now. All pipes & water line were wrapped with insulation & heat tape as applicable 2 weeks ago.

It may be that it isn't frozen, but that the check valve on the outlet of the hot water side is jammed up with calcium deposits. Happens a lot in hard water areas. What is the make and model of the water heater? Can you get to the rear of it?

Always a good idea to leave the taps running just a bit when temps get down in single digit area. Moving water is harder to freeze, but hot water freezes up faster than cold water. Hard to believe, but that is true.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Okay- I think I got it figured out! The main power switch was off. Would it over heating have flipped the switch?

Not usually, unless it was empty or nearly so. If you get me the make and model I can supply a Service Manual and that would help sometimes. Call me if you need to as there is no time limit.

I called the # you provided & left a message & in the beginning of this email chain I gave the make & model- 1995 Layton 37. It's what's on the title & sales slip. No other make/model given. This POS has been nothing but trouble since purchased. Found area under bunk bed where I can place a small heater. It's quite windy here now & pitch dark so having trouble getting pilot lit. I can boil water tonight and start over tomorrow.

D​ouble check that phone number you called. I don't show any message from anyone that I don't know in the last hour.

I was given(###) ###-####in California from(###) ###-####(my #)It went directly to voice mail. No worries. Too dark/cold do anything now. Will try again tomorrow. : >

I​ was outside getting wood............sorry about that. I can call you now or give me a call first thing tomorrow. I get up early.

I have hot water now. We'll see if I still do tomorrow.

Leave the taps running some tonight. Not a lot, but some.