RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an RV showing a J1939 no date code on the dash.

Customer Question
I have an RV...

I have an RV showing a J1939 no date code on the dash. However the engine will not turn over. Nothing happens when I try and start it. Could this be a low battery?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Its a Itasca with a cummins isl 400hp on a freightliner. 2008 model. the last 6 of vin are Z48957 and ser# ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The model is an Ellipse

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
1/1/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The J1939 is a data communications circuit used to send information to the dash gauge cluster from the engine and/or trans. computers. This information is typically vehicle speed, engine temp., oil pressure, engine speed, fuel level, etc., all the information needed for the gauges to display their readings and the trip computer to make its calculations.

This could be a loose connector, an intermittent wire fault or a multitude of other problems that can be very difficult to find. You could try and pull the chassis battery cables for a few mins to see if that helps, sometimes it will reset the system. Check all connectors and fuses for the chassis. Also I would verify your battery voltage, make sure it is over 11.5 volts AT THE BATTERY....

Having codes pulled might also help most Cummins shops can hook up to the data port to pull codes. IF the transmission pad is not lighting up please let me know...

Hope this helps some... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Have a Safe and Happy New Year!!!.....

Robert

The trans pad shows cats eyes and not a neutral. The jacks are down and engine does not crank so can't drive it. I checked all the TCM and ECM fuses and they are fine.

I would try and disconnect the chassis battery cables for 15 mins and check the voltage at the batteries... The cats eyes stems from the 1939 fault...

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic