RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood 8531-IV-DCLP heater in my RV. I can feel…

Customer Question
I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood 8531-IV-DCLP heater in my RV. I can feel the exhaust, it's hot for 5 seconds, then turns off and no heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

The AC works fine. When turning on the heat, the fan turns on and I hear the furnace fire up, and verify that there is hot exhaust

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Jayco Eagle 266, 1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was trying to troubleshoot.....I've only taken off the outside panel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
12/31/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Give me a few mins to type a response....

Robert

So when you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination. If it is firing off then shutting down it could be a LP pressure problem, electrode problem, circuit board, blocked exhaust etc....

It would be hard for you to check the LP pressure without a manometer so we have to assume the pressure is good. Go to the LP tank and shut the valve, SLOWLY open it back up, sometimes if that valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve.

I would also blow out the exhaust make sure nothing is inside of there, sometimes mud daubers or small rodents can get inside and when that happens it restricts the the air flow.

Next I would have a RV shop test the circuit board, most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if the board is causing the problem. IF the board is good then I might replace the electrode as it senses the flame and tells the board. To help you out on this click HERE for a service manual, follow the troubleshooting it should help out.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

is the circuit board the one that I see from outside, near the motor?

Yes that would be it.... Should have a plug connector going to it....

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert