RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2007 ROCKWOOD 8280 SS SLIDE OUT GEAR BOX. BRAND NAME: 2007…

Customer Question
2007 ROCKWOOD 8280 SS...

2007 ROCKWOOD 8280 SS SLIDE OUT GEAR BOX. BRAND NAME:

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

2007 ROCKWOOD 8280 SS VIN 4X4FRLD2X71817648 SLIDE OUT GEAR BOX THOMSON SAGINAW SLIPS. NEED TO REPLACE GEAR BOX-MOTOR IS OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SS yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I CONTACTED FOREST RIVER AND GAVE THESE DETAILS BUT THEY SENT AN ACTUATOR THAT WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ORIGINAL.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

W​hat is the part number off yours? And attach a photo of that to your post and I can get you the correct information. I have an RV shop and work on these all the time. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

I GAVE YOU ALL THE INFO THAT I CAN FIND. THERE ARE 2 GEAR BOXES. ONE WITH THE MOTOR FEEDS INTO THE OTHER. THE FINAL GEAR BOX HAS (2) 3/4 INCH RODS. ONE COMING OUT EACH SIDE AND SQUARE EXTENDING RODS CONNECT TO THE RODS AND GO ABOUT 3 FT TO A GEAR THAT MOVE A LONG SHAFT WITH NOTCHES. WHEN THE GEARS TURN THEY BRING IN THE SLIDE OUT. THE GEAR BOX IS SEALED AND NO BOLTS HOLDING IT TOGETHER.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT HOLDS IT TOGETHER EXCEPT THE SEALED BEARINGS. I DON'T HAVE A WAY OF SENDING A PICTURE. LIPPERT BOUGHT THE THOMSON SAGINAW CO 7 YRS AGO AND LIPPERT DOES NOT HAVE A REPLACEMENT PART. I CAN'T FIND A CO THAT MAKES SMALL REDUCTION GEAR BOXES. IF YOU KNOW OF ONE THAT WOULD POSSIBLY HELP.

I can find one for you, but I need to know exactly which one you have first. They have dozens of these in various configurations and ratios. Yours should have a part number on the tag. If I have that I should be able to match it up. E-Bay sellers have lots of these as do several sites online for good used ones. Try Visonerv or Colaw or Arizona RV Salvage. I have purchased good used parts from all of these for my customers. I have an RV repair shop and do these repairs all the time.

Any luck yet on finding a gearbox? If not, perhaps we can do a phone chat and you can text me a photo of yours.