RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My Onan generator 4000 will not start properly. I need to…

Customer Question
My Onan generator 4000...

My Onan generator 4000 will not start properly. I need to hold the govenor in a certain position for starting and maintaining operation. When I let go of choke it runs for Short time then quits. What do I need to do? O am in Mexico doing my own repairs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No battery. This is a power generator providing electrical power to my motorhome.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 4000?

1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4000 yourself? What have you tried so far?

225 hours of operation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed air filter, removed carburetor and cleaned orifices and changed plugs twice. I also inspected the governor rods for any bends and there are none.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 day by:
12/31/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check for any fuel restriction issues that may be causing this like a plugged fuel filter or restricted fuel line.If any issues are found they will need to be repaired/corrected to resolve this fault here.This is where I would start first for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Apologize for not responding sooner, but I'm boondock camping in Mexico and have no internet connection and intermittent cell phone service. Thanks for getting back to me. I have checked the fuel lines and filter, all ok. I closed the breaker for out going AC and after that I tried starting and it ran surging all the time before shutting itself off after a few minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It would not restart.

Let me open this up for others to see if anyone else can assist further on this that may have more info on what they can check.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 1 month ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

How long has it been since was run regularly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hank
Have not been able to communicate with you due to internet problems. I am in outback of Mexico. Will be in touch with info you requested in a few days.

Ok.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets