RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

One side of my Thor jazz 5th wheel plugs stopped working…

Customer Question
One side of my...

One side of my Thor jazz 5th wheel plugs stopped working correctly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Car?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Using a wiring checking device indicates hot/ground Reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It flips back to working okay and then flips back indicating again a wiring problem.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
12/29/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What power source are you plugged into? Are you using any kind of adapters or extension cords on the main cord???

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Power source the RV is plugged into is my house power via a 120 volt 30 amp plug. All other plugs in the RV are working correctly except the one near the door, the two under the TV, the one in the closet on the same side, and the outlet at the bedroom sink.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have a phone right now, only my internet connection. So no, can’t take a phone call.

Make sure you do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset button on them, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley but can be located just about anywhere else including the outside, so look high and low and outside. Go to the breaker panel and and shut off all the breakers and then turn them back on. Sometimes a breaker can trip and not look like it. Beyond that you could have a wiring problem at one of the outlets. IF one goes down the others will stop. Isolate the AC power and check each outlet look for any loose wires, burnt wires etc. It sounds like you do have a tripped GFI.....

Hope this helps some, please let me know if you need more help......

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. First, I’ve checked all of the breakers and fuses, none are blown/tripped. 2nd the GFCI outlets aren’t tripped and they work ok, test correctly.
I kind of figured it is a poor connection somewhere. What baffles me is that it started working okay for a day and then the next day it stopped working correctly.
I’ve just never seen an outlet do this, anywhere.

Could be a loose connection if it is coming and going, the next step would be to check each outlet, isolate the power and then go to the outlet that is closest to the breaker panel and work away from the breaker panel, look for a loose or burnt wire. I might also replace the GFI that is on that circuit....

Let me know if you need more help, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic