RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood electric hot water heater. I have only 2…

Customer Question
I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood electric hot water heater. I have only 2 months experience w/ using it. The former owners suggested turning it off much of the time and turn it on in advance of anticipated use. It was also explained that once the switch lights up that it should go out w/in a short timeframe. If not, just turn it off and try again in a few minutes. Today, I have turned it on and the light has gone off as expected, but then the light comes immediately back on. Trying it again, it keeps doing the same thing. If the light is on, does that mean that the water is not heating or burner not on? The red light is constantly on right now after using all the hot water in the shower. Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The red light that activates when the rocker switch is shifted from off to on or vice-versa

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2002 Aljo 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I doubt that I will try fixing it myself. It has worked fine according to the instructions the former owners described to me. But, today is the first time the light doesn't go off and remain off after turning it on. As to what I have tried so far, I turn the switch off for a few minutes if the light doesn't go off after about 2-3 minutes on the first try....and then, I turn the switch back on and see if the light goes off in a short time

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also tried running the water for a bit, too, which the previous owners stated can help to get the heater to kick on

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
12/26/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That is the ignition light and it shows when the water heater is trying to ignite. When it goes off that shows ignition has happened and if it goes off again then the most common cause of this is a bad flame sense portion on the control board. It might be low LP pressure at the tank regulator if that hasn't been done in the last year. It can also be caused by some debris in the burner area like spiders or other bug debris. The control board is located in the upper right hand corner outside and accessed by opening up the outside inspection panel. Two screws hold it on. Most shops have a board tester that can test this for you. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Service Manual for you. Print it out so you have it. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf