RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I accidently caused a short by touching the circuit board…

Customer Question
I accidently caused a...

I accidently caused a short by touching the circuit board while troubleshooting strange sounds from the furnace on my Class A motorhome. I have read a lot on RV forums suggesting that I tripped a breaker or blew a fuse, so I tested almost every fuse for the coach, including some in the engine compartment. I cannot find a tripped breaker switch in the coach fuse boxes either. Next, I checked the 12 volt voltage getting to the fuse box in the coach from the batteries - exceeds 14 volts. Next, I replaced the circuit board, but I know there is still no 12 volt power getting to the furnace or the wall thermostat that I installed last year (no longer connected to the climate control system).I have been rubbing two electric space heaters and occasionally running the engine for heat to the coach. Desperately need expert help to restore 12 volt power to my Atwood Model 8535 - IV DCLP LD furnace.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Mine has three fuse panels, but the owners manual does not indicate where the fuses are for the furnace.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MiniE?

Mine is a 2000 Fleetwood Bounder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

I accidently caused a short by touching the circuit board while troubleshooting strange sounds from the furnace on my Class A motorhome. I have read a lot on RV forums suggesting that I tripped a breaker or blew a fuse, so I tested almost every fuse for the coach, including some in the engine compartment. I cannot find a tripped breaker switch in the coach fuse boxes either. Next, I checked the 12 volt voltage getting to the fuse box in the coach from the batteries - exceeds 14 volts. Next, I replaced the circuit board, but I know there is still no 12 volt power getting to the furnace or the wall thermostat that I installed last year (no longer connected to the climate control system).I have been running two electric space heaters and occasionally running the engine for heat to the coach. Desperately need expert help to restore 12 volt power to my Atwood Model 8535 - IV DCLP LD furnace..

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 3 days by:
12/27/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

You may have damaged/fried the power converter that the circuit breakers and fuses seat into.This can become damaged internally with a short and can cause this fault here needing to be replaced.You will need to have this tested further to see if this is the cause here with it needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?