RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My furnace and refrigerator stopped working but i've still…

Customer Question
Good evening, my furnace...

Good evening, my furnace and refrigerator stopped working but i've still got power and all my circuit breakers are good

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

1985 Nuwa Hitchhiker

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '85 RV?

Hitchhiker

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it i've tested the circuit breakers and they're all good i still have power to some lights, it seems to be a problem with the hvac and the refrigerator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Some 12v room lights and a couple of halogen lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm freezing?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
12/23/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The two things these both have in coming are DC voltage and LP gas. Really need to see what the battery voltage is, if the battery voltage gets below 10.5 volts then they may not work and you would still have lights.

Also this could be a LP pressure problem as they both have that in common. IF you go to the outside access panel and remove the cover and try and start the fridge on LP does the electrode spark at all? IF it is sparking and you have good DC voltage go to the LP tank and shut the valve, SLOWLY open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressures.

This might take some going back and forth. IF you have a volt meter it will help...

Robert

i dont have a battery installed, and everything worked fine for the past month i've been on shore power
gas stove still works fine, and i just filled the propane a couple days ago

OK SO if you go to the outside access panel for the fridge and remove the panel and try and start it on LP do you hear it trying to spark.

Also having a battery hooked up is not a good idea, the reason being the battery acts as a filter for the converter, a converter can put out AC ripple or dirty voltage and the circuit boards on the appliances do not like it. IF you have a volt meter there is a way to check.

i have a volt meter and the gas thing did nothing

OK

So we need to check your voltage at the back of the fridge, what is the make and model of the fridge, should be a sticker inside the door.

Robert

it is a dometic rm761

OK

I am not to familiar with that model so what I am going to do is step out of the question so other experts can respond. My goal is for you to have the best possible answer. I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily...

Robert

i'm not too worried about the fridge, the furnace is my concern