RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I took the circuit board for 2000 Fleetwood Bounder out for…

Customer Question
I took the circuit...

I took the circuit board for 2000 Fleetwood Bounder out for cleaning without turning off the12 volt power. I felt an electrical shock from the circuit board, and now the furnace fan won't come on. I bought a new circuit board and installed it, but the fan still won't start. I checked the obvious fuses inside the couch, but they were all good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Actually, my Bounder has three fuse panels. One is above the seat by the door. One is under the console in front of the couch. And another is under the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I replaced the circuit board and checked the fuses above the seat by the door.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
12/22/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the furnace?

Robert

Atwood Model 8535-IV DCLP LP

OK

SO normally under the outside access panel will be a circuit breaker or on/off switch, the circuit breaker would be a small round button, have you seen or found that?

Sorry I actually have laryngitis and very hard to speak, got it from the bug going around or I would do the call. I can still help you in this format.

Click HERE and see page 5 you will see the circuit breaker.....

Robert

Haven't found the switch or button yet. Is it on the circuit board it?

NO look at the wiring diagram and trace the wires back from the board. IT should be after the 6 pin connector.

Can't access the link to page 5.
Only four wires come from the six pin connector - two blue, a red and a brown. The red wire ends going into the combustion box. the two blue wire disappear behind the fan cover, and the brown ends near and above the circuit board.

Do you have a volt meter or test light?

Robert

I have both.

OK

So you should have a 6 pin connector, one pin should always have voltage. Let me attach a print for you. We need to see if voltage is present on the 6 pin.... Robert

You should have voltage on pin 1 all the time and when you turn the thermostat ON pin 2 or the blue.

No current or voltage from the red wire on the six pin connector.
The thermostat is on and turned up.

OK

So we now know the problem is not at the furnace. As that wire has to have voltage on it for the furnace to work, so there has to be a blown fuse in one of your fuse boxes, I would think it would be the interior fuse boxes but I also think there is a fuse box outside under the front engine access up high on the drivers side, in that box are some fuses and shortstop style breakers, I might get your test light and probe all the fuses, it is a fast and effective way to see what fuses have power some with the breakers, the breakers will have two posts on them and a wire on each side, make sure all the breakers have voltage on each side.

Robert

No power to any pin.

Did you see my last response....

Can you show be a picture or diagram of the furnace fuses?

I do not have a diagram of that circuit, that would have to come from Fleetwood, they do have a technical support department and they might be able to provide you any prints, if you call in make sure you have the FIN number, they can be reached at 800...322.....8216.

Robert

I saw your last response, but it would help not to have to test between 30 and 60 fuses next time this happens
Especially, since my motorhome is skirted to above the engine compartment.

I understand and I do not have any prints as they are specific per year and model and are always changing, I am sure if you called into Fleetwood with your FIN they can help you out on that part. I been in situations like this where a test light will allow you to probe each fuse quickly for power and that is going to be cut and dry if the fuse is blown or not.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

I can't select a star rating until this problem is located for sure;

I try to provide the best possible direction, we have figured out that there is no voltage at the furnace which was the first step. I have worked on thousands and thousands of RV'S over 22 years, it is hard for me to know where exact location of a fuse is located. I am sure if you called Fleetwood with the FIN they can tell you the exact location as they can look it up.

Robert

I understand your limitations. However, it as been my experience over the last several years that electrical issues dominate the RV repair business and fuses are frequently involved in the repair. Even though we have ruled out the furnace itself, that doesn't help as much as I expected. At the very least, I should know which fuse box has the appropriate fuses to test and which fuse boxes I can rule out.

My thoughts are it is going to be the interior fuse box which is normally next to your breakers or it is the fuse box under the engine access. They could be using a shortstop style breaker which would be in that outside box, as I keep saying if you call Fleetwood with your FIN they should be able to tell you the exact location.

IF you are not satisfied please let me know I can direct you to customer service.

ROBERT

Sorry, but I am not satisfied.

Click HERE for customer service they can assist you on a refund.

ROBERT