RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Suburban Model SW6DEL water heater that refuses to…

Customer Question
I have a Suburban...

I have a Suburban Model SW6DEL water heater that refuses to ignite, I smell gas and hear the igniter clicking but no go. I have also removed the tube to insure it is not clogged up and reinstalled. Has worked well in past. Last used it in MId October. Any I can check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The clicking is the igniter trying to light

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Suburban?

It is in a 2012 Keystone Outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have insured the tube is not clogged and insured there is gas flow, Ican smell it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Jusst ready to here suggestions to remedy this issue

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/21/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination. Please give me a few mins to type a response back on what to check.... I will respond shortly...

Robert

Thanks

You gave a good description of what is going on so some things can be ruled out right off.

IF you have both spark and gas then it could be a LP pressure issue, a problem with the board, or the electrode.

It would be hard for you to check the LP pressure without a manometer, I understand other items could be working but that does not mean the pressure is correct. The pressure should be checked with a manometer it is a 15 min check in the shop. SO we have to assume the pressure is good. I would however go to the main valve on the tank and shut the valve, SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if that valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve up.

Next is the circuit board and electrode, if you look at the orange wire or cable going to the electrode (what sparks) it will go right to the board, on the suburbans they like to stick the board on the side of the furnace, and sometimes it is loose and not secured, check the connections on the board really good, clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser. The board can actually be tested with a special board tester, most RV shops have that and can tell if the board is the issue, if the board is good I might just go ahead and replace the electrode, make sure the gap is 1/8" on the electrode as well. With both spark and gas present it sounds like the electrode or board and wanted to mention the possibility of the LP....

Hope this points you in the right direction, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.... Robert

Have a Safe and Happy Holidays.... Robert