RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Inverter that has started to run intermittenently…

Customer Question
I have a Inverter...

I have a Inverter that has started to run intermittenently (off & on) on my trailer. It is all winterized and packed up in its cover. I do have power to it and have left the refrigerater turned on. I umpluged the power cord and it continues to run. This is what makes me think it is the Inverter. Leaving it plugged in is mainly to keep the batteries charged. What do I need to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

This is a pull behind camper

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

It is a 2016 Forest River Rockwood signature untra lite 34'9" in length. I had the second battery added when I bought it. I feel confident that the batteries are good but haven't check them with turning on lights etc. without power to it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just heard the Inverter this morning when I left to come to work. Haven't done anything so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
12/20/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the inverter? Normally on a trailer you would have a power converter. There is a difference, an inverter allows you to have AC power when you are unplugged and a power converter will not allow that, it just supplies the DC voltage and charges the battery when you are plugged into power. An inverter will also charge the battery but can also take the battery voltage and make AC voltage when you are unplugged. IF you can confirm the make and model of the inverter or power converter I should be able to help you on this.

Robert

If it is a power converter and you are plugged in it would be normal for the fan to kick on and off when it is charging the battery. IF you unplug it the fan noise should stop, if that is not happening then you could have an inverter as that would still run when you are unplugged and it is turned on as it is taking the battery voltage and making the AC voltage. IF you have an inverter and leave it unplugged and the inverter is ON it will drain the batteries pretty fast.

In any event power converter or inverter the fan will kick on and off when charging the battery.

IF you need more help please get me the make and model of the inverter or power converter...

Robert