RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

2004 American Coach Class A. I have lost house 12 volt and…

Customer Question
2004 American Coach Class A...
2004 American Coach Class A . I have lost house 12 volt and Generator battery. Main engine battery OK. The battery off button at entry door no longer functions. Battery monitor states batteries are fully charged , invertor works. I have a Big Boy isolator in battery compartment . Beside that and behind a circuit board is the smaller "ratchet " type solenoid . I replaced that , no change. I have checked all the fuses and breakers.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So when you hit the interior switch it should trigger one of the solenoids. To check the solenoids what you would want to do is check for voltage on each side of the LARGE posts with the larger cables, if you have voltage on one side and not the other what you can do is get an insulated wire and jump the posts to see if your power comes on. Have you check EACH solenoid for power? You might have two or three solenoids......

Robert

You can follow up as much as needed, need to check for voltage in and out of the solenoids. IF you have no voltage going to the solenoid verify you do not have a breaker tripped between the battery and solenoid.

Robert

The Battery Control center box contains the small latching solenoid which I replaced. In this same box is a super size Big Boy Isolator - large solenoid - and a circuit board. I'm very concerned to not cause damage to this circuit board .
Can I jump the two large poles on the Big Boy isolator to see if that will cause 12 volt system to come online ?

YES you can jump the posts and see if the power comes on, I am thinking that is the one you are after, the big boy solenoid, the smaller one could be for the battery boost or ignition solenoid. Jumping the solenoid will not hurt the board.

Robert

https://intellitec.com/assets/pdf/1453-intellitec-pdf-template-53-00507-100.pdf
http://ddwt.us/Intellitec_BD1_Battery_Disconnect_Service_Manual.pdfI have both of these disconnects in the battery controller box. Can you share why box would have both of these.

One should be for the chassis disconnect, one would be for the house disconnect and if you have a third it would be a boost solenoid.

The 200 amp solenoid is normally the house disconnect one....

Robert

I have verified 13 volts at both large post on Big Boy isolator . I have verified 13 volts at the latching solenoid in the battery control center box in the battery compartment . Still no 12 volt DC in the cabin. Coach engine battery fine , Generator battery fine. I loaded tested house batteries and they checked OK .

So follow that cable out of the 200 amp isolator and see where the cable is going, it should be going to a breaker OR fuse box, normally you will have an outside fuse box which powers the interior fuse box for the house items. In the drawings you sent it would be the out to system. Also you have to check each side of the solenoid for voltage, I have see some owners check positive to one side of the solenoid and negative to the other that is NOT correct, you would go positive lead to one post to chassis ground and then the other post and the voltage should be the same on each post. Try and follow the cable and see where it is going and then check for voltage...

Robert

Was just checking in to see if you made any progress?

Robert

Discovered my House batteries were toast after disconnecting them and load testing them individually. Replace them and was hopeful problem would be resolved , but not the case. From battery compartment House cable goes to under the bed. To a 12 inch long American TecH Inc circuit board. Three power leads at top have 12 volts. At the bottom of this circuit board has 8 phone cable type wires and connectors that go to each wall switch for the 12 volt system. My tester shows 12 volts at each phone cable type wire. .................. But no power at the 15 fuses on this circuit board. Still no 12 volts inside the cabin wall switches

I wonder if that circuit board is the problem, is there any id on that board, part number etc.....

Robert

American Technology Components Inc PCB- 073-MD REV 2 . I looked them up Elkhart Indiana .

I think at this point I would give them a call, that appears to be specially made for that unit and could be the reason you are not getting voltage if it has failed, hopefully they have a work around or can possible refurbish it for you if it is bad...... I think the key is you have power through the disconnect solenoid and from there you have traced the voltage to that board, the fuses should be hot....

IF you would like you try another expert on this please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic