RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I am looking at buying a 1992 ford 350 sprinter mallard. It…

Customer Question
I am looking at...

I am looking at buying a 1992 ford 350 sprinter mallard. It needs a generator. I want to know if there is a specific kind

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford F350. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

The refrigerator may have blown a fuse. Are there any potential issues?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/14/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Most all of these units have an Onan 4K Microquiet generator in them. You can get them in either a gas or an LP unit. Quite a few good buys around for a used one if you don't want to spend the money for a new one. You can try Colaw or Arizona RV Salvage for a used one. Maybe R&K as well. I have attached a link to their site for you. Hope this proves helpful here. I have an RV shop and have installed a number of these, so please get back to me if you need more on this later. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. http://randkproducts.com/

Thanks for your help!
Can you recommend a suitable replacement that might be less expensive?

If you want it mounted into the compartment you are limited to the size. You might check out the Generac models. I have one for my home and I live off-grid and love it! And you are most welcome!

Good used ones are about half the cost of new or less and some would be very low hours. Check E-Bay for what they might have.

Didn't that have one in it before? Older units are larger, but if the space is there those would be much less money. Some of the older models are actually better quality due to not being made in China.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

I ended up not going with this RV because the owner wouldn't provide me with the VIN. I am looking at a 1976 Winnebago that I will most likely purchase sometime between tomorrow and Monday.

O​.K............get back to me if you need more on that one.

I ended up buying the 76 Winnebago. It's a Minnie Winnie 25. It failed smog and it looks like it may need to have the carb rebuilt or replaced. I am wondering if you can recommend a shop in the San Jose, CA area.
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago

I​ have no knowledge of any shops there. Check with the Better Business Bureau there in that county for ratings. It won't have to be an RV shop, but can be someone who does good tune ups and that sort of repair.