RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My HMC 36 foot motorhome with a Cat engine and air shifter,

Customer Question
My HMC 36 foot...

My HMC 36 foot motorhome with a Cat engine and air shifter, air throttle and air suspension sitting in a parking lot in Cheney, WA with it’s air system frozen up. I got the air tanks up to 90 psi after running it for about a half hour by using two catalytic heaters on the air tanks and lines. How can I keep it from freezing long enough to drive it to you?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No. Everything works perfectly until the temperature drops below freezing and I use the brakes, shifter or throttle a few times. This has happened the last four winters , inspite of dryer service, etc. last year the dealer who thawed it added some antifreeze to the system and it worked fine for about 2500 miles of sub freezing driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

It is a 36 foot HMC motorhome with a Caterpiller engine and air throttle, air shifter, air brakes and air suspension. Without air I can’t move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Like I said the dealer who thawed it last year serviced the air dryer and added antifreeze to the system. Results are on my prior posting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just how I can keep it running long enough to get from Cheney, WA to your closest repair.facility.. Thanks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
12/12/2017
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

drain your air tanks to zero, remove the big discharge

the line on the air compressor, get a bottle of air antifreeze

pour as much as you can into the line, install the line

start the engine for 2 minutes to push it down into

the system, then repeat again 2 more times

also, you need to have the heater checked on the air Dryer

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Morning

Just following up with you

did my answer help you ??

Morning

I took the time to answer your question

Please take the time to reply to me