RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It seems half of the electrical is out we can't pull in the…

Customer Question
It seems half of...

It seems half of the electrical is out we can't pull in the slide out, so we can't move it home.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2003 Wilderness

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 RV?

TV

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We thought the connection was bad and just messed with that, then my husband found there were other electrical outlets that had no power. We think about half.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

At this time it is consistent

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
12/12/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The slideouts work on 12 VDC power which is controlled by your batteries and the converter. It would be a good idea to start by checking those to see if the batteries are viable and the charging system is performing properly. A good converter should be puttin out about 13.7 VDC to the batteries and if you have or can come up with a small digital multimetter we can test that. Most places that sell batteries can load test yours for you if you remove them and take them in. Just be sure you take a photo of the cables on the hookups first. A meter is about $20 or so and easy to use if you don't have one. Great item for your tool kit. If the voltage was too low, it may have tripped out a shortstop breaker in that circuit and we can check that as well. If some of your AC outlets aren't working the first place to look is in the load center at the service breakers and then to the GFCI master control outlets. One in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom as a rule. Hope that gives you some direction here. Please get back to me when you are ready to test as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification