RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a large toy hauler with an Attwood gas-electric

Customer Question
We have a large...

We have a large toy hauler with an Attwood gas-electric water heater. We cannot get hot water into the coach. Cold is ok. Strangely, if we turn on one set of faucets, say in the bathroom, then we get water from the kitchen hot water faucet, but not hot water. The fuse is ok. I drained and refiled the tank.The gas fires when we turn it on. I guess the electric is working too. I'm in Tampa Florida where it has been in the 30s at night, but not freezing. What can you recommend? This RV is two years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

What is a gas hog? We use propane to cook and heat and for the first time we have heaters on the last two days. The gas jet in the water heater fires when I turn it to gas. Usually we use the electric.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

This is a 2015 42-foot Heartland Road Warrior toy hauler.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I did was drain the tank and refill it. I pulled the fuse and it looks good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/11/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

I​s there a chance that the winterizing bypass valve(s) are in the wrong position? If the water heater is coming on and working properly, that is the most common cause of this. See the attached link for a copy of the Atwood Water Heater Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. If necessary, we will use this for some trouble shooting. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

what info do you need?

Did you see my response?

Here it is again in case you missed it earlier: I​s there a chance that the winterizing bypass valve(s) are in the wrong position? If the water heater is coming on and working properly, that is the most common cause of this. See the attached link for a copy of the Atwood Water Heater Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. If necessary, we will use this for some trouble shooting. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!