RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We just bought a used 2000 hitchhiker discovery. Does it…

We just bought a...

We just bought a used 2000 hitchhiker discovery. Does it have fuses?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes and can't find anything on fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?

We did find the breakerbox

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else at the moment

12/10/2017
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

it does not have fuses, it has circuit breakers

for the home

the coach has fuses, under the dash and under the hood

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I'm sorry but it has no hood or dash it's a fifth wheelno at this point I don't agree to the additional charge of $26If have more questions if I can get someone who knows what they're really talking aboutI'm having trouble with my refrigerator
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

What kind of problems are you having with your fridge? What is the make and model of the fridge.

Also normally inside the RV you will have a breaker panel and next to the breaker panel will be the fuses, this panel can blend in with the rest of the cabinetry and can be under the fridge, in the closet area or in a cabinet. Look for a panel with clips or a panel that swings down, they like to put the breakers and fuses next to each other inside so they are not exposed to the elements.

IF you can get me the make and model of the fridge and let me know what the issue is I can help you out on that, I have been a RV tech for over 20 years and work for a major RV manufacturer.

Robert

The breakerbox is on the outside of the unit, but have been unable to find any sort of fuses any where. Could they be by the batteries?
The refrigerator is a Royale Dometic model 3862. The freezer gets cool a bit but the fridg doesn't cool at all.

OK

Normally the fuses are inside, so I would look in all your cabinets, on the outside base of the bed, under the bed, it is possible they are by the batteries but from all my experience they like to stick them inside the unit. They should be near the power converter you might hear the fan for the power converter running then go to that area and look for a panel.

On the fridge have you tried running it on BOTH AC power and LP with the same results???

Robert

Well we have no LP at the moment but the man that we bought it from said that freezer works but that the refrigerator doesn't work at all. Yesterday when I was cleaning it we turned it on AC and the freezer got somewhat cool but the fridg really didn't seem to change temps to much.

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response on that and what to check for...

Robert

Normally when you get NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC power it could be the cooling unit or the thermistor. So you do want to see if the box cools on LP if at all possible.

A few things you can try, if you go to the back of the fridge under the outside access panel you will see a circuit board on the circuit board is a two wire connector, that is the thermistor. IF you un-plug that from the board the fridge should default to FULL cooling, click HERE and see page 14. This is a service manual.

IF you get NO cooling after a few hours with the thermistor unplugged the cooling unit could be bad.

The way the RV fridge is set up the freezer will always cool long before the box will. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. For a blockage you might smell ammonia, see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you might not show any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC.... Since the freezer is getting cold good chance the cooling unit is the issue.

There are some myths about clearing a blockage and sometimes they work but more often they do not. That would be tapping the absorber coils with a rubber mallet, pulling the fridge and flipping it several time and letting it stand level for a few hours, which make sure the unit is level now.

Finally what you can do if you want to know if the cooling unit is bad is to hot wire the AC heating element that is running into the flue canister. Get an old lamp cord or extension cord and cut the end off, dis-connect the AC heating element wires from the circuit board and wire nut them to the lamp or extension cord and plug the cord in, with the fridge OFF the fridge should get very cold in the box you are supplying a heating source and bypassing all the controls. No cooling bad cooling unit.

Also in the manual I sent I might ohm out the AC heating element since you can not test the LP side, it is possible the LP side is working and if the freezer is getting cold could be the AC heating element...

Hope all this make sense, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Please keep in mind I only get "credit" when you select a STAR rating on the page...... ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic