RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic thermostat and two zones. New RV unit. Was…

Customer Question
I have a Dometic...

I have a Dometic thermostat and two zones. New RV unit. Was close to running out of propane so I took out the empty and went and filled it. When I got back there is nothing showing on the thermostat. No time, no temp, the light won’t even stay lit blue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The thermostat on the wall. It has a blue background light that shows up blue when I press one of the buttons...on/off...zone...program, but no digits of any type are showing up. The blue stays lit for about a second after I push a butto.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2018 LUXE

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing! I just walked in 30 minutes ago to the problem. I’ve checked fuse box, all seems to be right there. I just picked the RV up earlier this week in Elkhart and am on my way back to Texas with it. Stopped here in Missouri where it’s too cold for my heat pumps to keep us warm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a xantrex energy monitoring system and it’s now blank as well. Earlier in the day I could see readouts, now nothing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/8/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Did someone accidently turn the batteries off? Either that or they are too low to power up anything. Are you plugged into shore power?

plugged into 30 amp. About 6:00 pm cst, the thermostat showed up with digits again. It set on automatic and I hear a slight clicking, like its trying to activate or turn on. I just went up to the thermostat to see what it was on. IT’s on automatic but when I hit the on button, everything went blank again.
My Xantrex is working, or showing digits anyway. I’m not sure exactly what it does but it was blank an hour ago.
Is it possible it’s not getting gas? We have two 40 gallons tanks. One is totally empty, the other about 2/3 empty. I took out the tank and had it filled with propane. Came back and hooked it back up where i took it out of. Came in to find all the power on the thermostat out.

I​t pretty much speaks to a voltage issue. Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? Battery cables clean of any corrosion and tight?

now the heat pump started, furnace still a no show. I’m trying to turn off the HP in the bedroom zone because it is 20 outside and thand e heat pump is NOT pumping anything warm at all.
Display still is fading out and coming back. Xantrex shows no problem with battery, no fault light there at all.
No, I have no tester. We just picked this th8ng up new in Elkhart, first one we’ve ever had. Didn’t bring many tools with me at all.

If you can get a meter that would help. We need to rule out a DC voltage issue or ground issue. Check the leads on the thermostat with your meter and see if that is adequate. That would mean you need to see over 12 VDC between the positive and negative leads.

I have power throughout the coach. The only thing not functioning is the thermostat. If the furnace can’t come on then the HP stays on. Is it possible that when I changed out my propane tank the gas stopped flowing to the furnace and that’s what’s keeping it from kicking on? We have two 40lb propane tanks. When one empties it switches to the second. I changed the first out but when the gas emptied on the second tank would it automatically revert back to the first or is there something that had to be switched, or moved?

The tanks would have no effect on the power to the thermostat. Did you check the main fuse in your load center for the furnace? If this runs both the A/C and the furnace then it has to have power, but the furnace mode may be damaged. Is this a Dometic Single Zone thermostat or a Comfort Control II model?

It is not a single zone. Thermostat is rectangular with two zones and two programs each. Is there a different fuse for the furnace? I’ve checked fuses in fuse box and can’t find one listed As furnace.

Then it must be a Comfort Control II version. If it works on some modes and goes dark on the furnace then it may be defective. Nobody has been into the control board area and may have flipped the furnace dip switch off?

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this with a new thermostat? Please let me know if you need more assistance here. Thanks!