RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood water heater Model G6A-8E. I was using the…

Customer Question
I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood water heater Model G6A-8E. I was using the hot water, then turned it off. A few minutes later, no hot water anywhere. Cold water is working fine. Research suggests a stuck check valve. Please help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I have an Atwood Model G6A-8E RV hot water heater.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

It is a 2004 Grand Surveyor by Forest River 29' Travel Trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

I was using the hot water, then turned it off. A few minutes later, no hot water anywhere. Cold water is working fine. Research suggests a stuck check valve. Please help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How do I locate the check valve?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That sounds like the check valve on the rear of the water heater on the hot water discharge is jammed or gunked up with too many calcium deposits. That would be the usual cause as long as this is the case with all the hot water taps. Some are plastic and some are brass and can be cleaned up and reused as long as the spring is intact. Otherwise, they need to be replaced. About $10 and not hard to do most of the time if you are somewhat handy with tools. You just need to turn the water heater off and drain it and get to the hot water outlet on the rear of the unit. I larger Crescent wrency or pipe wrench can take it off. Be careful not to lose the rubber grommet on the pipe fitting. It can drop out sometimes and not be noticed. Hope that gives you some direction here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Please see the attached link for the Atwood Water Heater Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. Let me know if you need more here. Thanks! http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!