RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have 2002 American Eagle 40ft class A. A broom handle got…

Customer Question
I have 2002 American...

I have 2002 American Eagle 40ft class A

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

A broom handle got stuck in from slide out and now it goes out good but coming in has to be pushed to get over the hump area. I'm assuming it injured the track in some way. The motor works good. Just have to push and lift it by 3 people to get it back in. What you think needs repairing on track? I had a Rv center tell me I would just have to send it to fleet wood company????? Smh. Is it very difficult to repair a track? Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

About 60,000 miles. It's in good condition. We know what caused the problem- the broom caught in side of slide and then it was difficult to get back in after that. It worked great before that and other slide works great as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all. Thank you. Donna

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
12/6/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It sounds like you may have bent the track or guide causing this issue here.The track has to be accessed to inspect the damage to locate the component causing this fault here.Once located it can then be repaired to resolve the issue.On some models, this can involve removing flooring to access the track and guides.It can be a difficult repair to do without the proper diagrams/layout of the system and info on how to access it which unfortunately my info is not showing.In some cases, a local RV repair facility may be able to diagnose and repair it for you for a fee or at least let you know how to access the track assembly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thank you. It seems that it's obvious to be a tracking issue. I need to know how to check the track. When slide is out just part of way, the track is visible from underneath. Can you send diagram and instructions on what and where on track to see what important pieces to check and look for on the track? Again, thank you for agreeing with the problem. Since tracking is visible from underneath I'm assuming floor would not need cutting. It's been at an EZ RV shop/business since July and they suggested a new motor which I explained the motor works good it's just the tracking from broom getting caught during retraction. They still put new motor in slide out and of course it did not make a difference. I need help with instructions on diagnosing and fixing the track. Thank you

Unfortunately, I don't have the info you need on this model here to check and do this myself.I will have to see if anyone else here has that info to help on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete