RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 29' Holiday Rambler Alumalite. We have had no luck…

Customer Question
We have a 29'...

We have a 29' Holiday Rambler Alumalite. We have had no luck finding the converter.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Rambler?

1997 & it doesn't say which one it is. We have the owners manual, but it is no help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. My husband has looked under the fridge, sinks, the breakers & fuses. He has also looked around the battery & under the kitchen stove.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes. the battery is shot & won't hold a charge.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/3/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Hello. What information do you need?

I​f the battery is shot then the first step is to get that replaced. Get a good Deep Cycle Marine battery like a HD Interstate unit. I sell those in my shop and have had excellent service with them for many years. The converter can be an integral unit or stand alone unit. If you can get back to me with the make and model of your load center I can tell you which you have and direct you further. I good converter should be putting out about 13.7 VDC to the battery(s) and less than .5 VAC ripple. If you have a small digital multimeter we can test yours. About $20 ro so at most hardware stores and easy to use and very helpful to have in your RV tool kit.

Right now, our camper is about 3 hours from here at our lake property, so I can't get that information. When we can make the trip up there, I can get it & get back to you. It just may be a few weeks before we can go. We did charge the battery, but it wouldn't hold a charge. Also the battery is over 7 years old. Yes, we will be getting a new battery when we get the converter.
my husband has a good multimeter.

If the converter is the OEM unit, then it is ready for an upgrade. Progressive Dynamics makes about the best ones on the market. Best Converter online is a good source and price. I can make you a phone chat offer so you can call me once you get there and we can do this over the phone if you want. $9 more, but no time limits or on number of calls needed to resolve this.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!