RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger failed. Disconnected AC power &

Customer Question
Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger failed...

Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger failed. Disconnected AC power & by-passed inverter until new one arrives. Battery bubbling out acid. What causes this? Am I OK with what I did?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

First time

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, had mobile electrician come by

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Am I OK with by-passing the inverter & connecting the AC input/output power until my new inverter arives?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
12/3/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

How are you charging the battery if the inverter is out of the loop?

What is the Year, make and Model of the RV?

Robert

During normal operation the inverter charges the battery, if the inverter is bypassed it should not be charging unless it was somehow wired to the bypass, that would be a big problem. Normally what you have to do to have DC power is put a charger on the batteries to keep them up. Also the batteries could be bad and should be load tested when they cool off and are not gassing at all, I would shut everything down and let things cool off and then remove the batteries. You do not want to remove them when they are gassing as if you provide a spark accidentally you can have an explosion, so best to shut everything down for a few hours then disconnect them, have them tested and replaced if needed. I would advise a charger on the batteries if you need DC power, or just get by with the AC power if you can.

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns...... Robert

I'm charging the batteries with a small standalone charger. It's a 2002 40' Teton 5th Wheel. It has (4) 12 volt batteries and one of the batteries was completely dry and swelling the case. I refilled the battery, disconnected the charger for about 4 hours. When I returned from work the same battery was leaking acid and the caps were pushed up.

That battery sounds like it could be bad but I would have them all load tested really can not replace a new battery with weaker ones or it will bring the new battery down. Need to be careful with that battery if it is swelling. IF anything you can take it out of the loop and run with three or two and see what happens, all the positives will go to each battery and the negatives. So you could easily remove one or two from the circuit.....

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic