RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My rv 5000 runs only when pluged into house current,shuts…

Customer Question
My rv 5000 runs...

My rv 5000 runs only when pluged into house current,shuts down when no house current is present

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2005 Damon Intruder

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 RV?

373-W intruder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, no power when unplugged from house,new batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/1/2017
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model number and serial number of the genset?

ONAN serial#L040729741 Model 5-5HGJAB-1038C
Did I also stated that when shore power is disconnected I have Nothing

This genset has to have a good battery connected to stay running.

This sounds like what is happening. When you are plugged in, you are running off the output of the converter - not the battery. When you unplug, you lose power, so the genset shuts down.

First, check to make sure you got all cables reconnected to the batteries when you changed them, and that all cables are connected to the proper posts. It is very common to miss one.

If the cables are all good, make sure your batteries are turned on at the master switch. If you don't have them on, nothing can work.

Do not keep trying to run the genset off the converter - it will burn the converter up.

ok its late here in fla I'll check tomooow the battery turn off switch has not worked for years on off side does not wpro meter on other side reads 14.3

You are reading converter voltage, not battery voltage.

ok these are new batteries

I understand.

But you are not getting battery voltage to the genset. Either you have a cable that is not connected, is connected to the wrong post, or the batteries are not turning on for some reason.

cables are on correctly maybe the battery disconnect is screw up

That is a good possibility.

any idea on how I check it
can I disconnect the switch and not use it

Nope. That is part of the RV, not part of the genset.

I couldn't even tell you which type of battery disconnect you have.

Yes, a disconnect can be bypassed, but the risk is dead batteries if they are not closely watched - especially during downtimes.

Intellitec DB1 disconnect switch

Click here to download testing for the disconnect.

any idea where this is located in the coach

It can be mounted anywhere. You just need to look for it.

Did you get it going?

NO waiting for a transfer switch ?????

Ok.

Ok put in new tranfer switch same thing. It blows the 5amp fuse markek BD relay, now what

You either did not get the disconnect wired properly, or there is a short or over load on the disconnect circuit.