RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

In the rear, on the left side, The trim strip that joins the…

Customer Question
In the rear, on...

In the rear, on the left side, The trim strip that joins the walls has come away from the body of the trailer, at the bottom, for about 8". How best to repair?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2012 model 77 I think.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 RV?

Model 77 or 79 I think....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. Not worked on it so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
12/1/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is that right at the bottom of the corner?

Does this have a wood frame or aluminum frame structure or do you know?

I​n any event the solution is usually to re-attach it using slightly longer screws and one size larger diameter. These may have been stripped out earlier or gotten knocked loose from some contact there. You can access them by taking the screw cover trim loose and out of the channel. In the shop we would drill another hole or two in the corner trim to allow a new place to secure this. Tighten them up by hand once you get them almost tight to avoid stripping them out. Once this is snugged down you can reseal the edges with a small bead of Dicor 501 Lap Sealant and keep any moisture out of there. Reset the screw cover and use some Dicor at the terminus of the insert to secure it at the bottom of the channel. Hope that provides some direction here. Please get back to me if this isn't clear or you need additional explanation on this. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.