RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2003 Winnebago Journey 39 DL with a caterpillar…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a 2003 Winnebago Journey 39 DL with a caterpillar engine. My husband changed the fuel filter today. But now the rv won't start. We were told to bleed the air out of the fuel lines by loosening bolts or screws and then start the engine to allow air out of these connections. But we don't see any bolts or screws to loosen! The filter we replaced was a CAT IR-0749. The diagram on the filter said not to add fuel to the filter, so he didn't. But when the rv wouldn't start, he thought he probably should go ahead and add diesel to the filter then. But after many tries, the engine starts but then peters out. We don't have a manual with the rv, unfortunately, so I don't have much to go on as far as diagrams. Our rv is stranded right now, so if someone could help us that would be awesome! Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

I'm sorry, but I believe it is external? It is yellow filter and is easily seen from the outside grill to the engine. Does that help? I'm a woman, sorry if that's a bad excuse for not understanding. My husband is back at the rv and I had to come to my family's house to get online to get answers! So, I'm not actually at the rv. I'm just trying to remember what all we tried! Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oh, dear. Sorry Pearl!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, actually my husband is trying to fix it. He installed the filter fine. But when we were told the lines needed to be blown out, or primed, we don't know how to do that or where the screws or bolts are to loosen. All we see are hoses.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
12/1/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry for the delay, about all you can do is try cranking the engine for 30 seconds at a time and each time add fuel to the filter until it remains full, you want to wait 5 mins between the 30 second cranks as this will allow the starter to cool off. The other option is to apply air to the fuel tank while cranking over to help push the fuel need to be careful as to much air and you can rupture the tank. Also I wanted to mention some of these CAT engines have a secondary fuel filter and coming of the base is a manual prime pump, it was up to the RV manufacturer to install that and many did not, I might consider having a shop install one for you so in the future all you would have to do is manually pump, it still would take allot of pumps. I have never put the filters on dry and always pre-fill them to the top with clean diesel and have never had any issues.....

Hope this helps some... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page. Robert

Hi... was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic