RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Atwood water hrs. CcachmanBrook. We have a coachman…

Customer Question
I have a Atwood...

I have a Atwood water hrs

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

CcachmanBrook

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

We have a coachman brookstone 2013 367RlL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have a 2013 Coachman Bfookstone 367 RLD: the probllem is with a Atwood GE16 EXT water heater. When in the electric mode it runs just fine for about an hour and then the DSI FLT light comes on and it no longer heats water: I have run it in the gas mode for about an hour and have no problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

Yes they are fine

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
11/30/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

That is odd to see these lights when in electric mode as these are for the propane heater side.Direct ignition lights for spark and propane operation.Make sure your breaker is switched on for electric as it may be switching itself to propane in electric mode turning on these lights.

If this is o.k. and you know for sure it was in electric mode the whole time when these lights came with the only thing I see that may cause this is a fault with the control unit/control board for the hot water heater itself as these lights only pertain to the propane side and should not come on when in electric use unless the control board has a fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Is there another panel / breaker for w/h ? Beside one opposite door
No switch at w/h

On some models, there is a breaker/switch at the heater itself that may say on/off.But if there is not then there should just be one with the other breakers that should be labeled for the water heater.If they are o.k. the only other thing I can think of is a fault with the control board for it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

When I turn off circuit breaker, switch light is still on

Is it unplugged from the 110 power source?

It’s wired direct to the panel. Even with the 110 main off, the switch light still stays on. So must be getting a dc source to the switch

Is this the switch to turn on the heater that is staying lit/on?

Is there any way you can take a picture of this switch panel and send it to me here.There should be a paper clip icon or similar on your end to upload a photo?

Just to be sure here I see your water heater breaker is off,did you turn it off or was it already off?It is the one that says W/H
The circuit brk is off an the lighted sw is on. I could understand this because the propane side would be powered by 12V dc. At this point I am considering a new boardDo you know anything else I should look at before I do

I apologize for the delay.

The light on is from the 12 volt source and is normal.The only thing I can think of here is a fault with the control board itself causing this fault.You would need to have this tested to be sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete