RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2000 coachman leprechaun 313qb rv that will crank…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 coachman leprechaun 313qb rv that will crank but not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes and no

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 RV?

313 ab coachman leprechaun

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced cam shaft sensor and check voltage to inertia cutoff switch , but I need clarification on the switch proper operation

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
11/29/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 7 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the fuel pressure tested as well as power and ground signals tested to the fuel pump this needs to be done.This can be the fuel pump itself at fault.If you are missing power or ground to the pump this can be the inertia switch at fault needing replaced.Some inertia switches have a reset on them to push in to reset it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I need more info, when I was checking the inertia switch and resetting the switch by popping the button up and down I could smell gas from the front of the engine. I had not smell gas prior when pumping the gas pedal. My question is does the button need to stay down on the switch and could it possibly be the crank position sensor?

The button should just be a reset to where when pushed it resets the switch and it can pop back up like your seeing.

Since your smelling gas this usually indicates the fuel is reaching the engine.

How did this no start occur.Was it just suddenly one day it wouldnt start at all?

The button on the switch does not pop back up unless you manually pop it up. I just wanted clarification of what position the button needs to be in to operate correctly. Button pressed in or popped up. This problem started last week with intermittent crank, I took off the positive battery and cleaned it due to corrosion. Put it back on the terminal and it cranked and started like normal. A couple days later the same problem again with crank no start. I replaced the battery and positive connector for terminal and it hasn’t started since. I do have 12 volts at different parts of vehicle which tells me the battery and connection are good.

O.k., if it is not an inertia switch with a reset plunger switch usually the button has to be in.

The next thing to do here is to just see if it is flooded.Try removing the spark plugs and clean and dry the fuel from them and then reinstall them.Then hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and then turn on the key and crank it over.This puts it in a clear flood mode.If it starts to remove your foot from the pedal.

You can also try this now ( the clear flood mode) to see if it starts.If this works in either try here then the engine was flooded out.If it continues to act up after it starts then you would need to have the fuel pump tested as well as injectors and the engine coolant temp sensor tested to see if it is sending a false signal causing a flood out issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

I tried the things you stated but still not running

This is a difficult question for me to answer fully from here myself due to lack of diagrams and the layout of the ignition system on your model.I will have to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What chassis is your RV on?

Ford e450
V10 6.8L

Great, I am kind of going to start over so I have all the info I need to help you.

1. Do you get ignition spark while cranking?
  2. Do you get injector pulse while cranking?
  3. Key on is there fuel pressure if so what pressure?
  4. When is the last time it was used?
I’m in the process of changing the
Crank position sensor. Hopefully, that will help. As for your questions, I haven’t check the spark or injection pulse. It worked intermittently last week. I thought I had a weak battery, so I changed it and now it would start at all. But it does crank, but not turn over.

Do you know how to check the things I asked about and do you want to respond after the new CKP is installed?

I will be back with you after the install

Super

I changed out the crankshaft sensor and it still doesn’t start. So, you wanted me to check a few things.

These were the things I wanted you to check.

How do I check these things
Can you send instructions on checking these things

Ignition spark you remove a coil and plug and assemble them outside of the engine. Hold the coil so the plug is grounded to the engine. Crank the engine and verify you get vibrant blue spark from the plug.

Unplug a fuel injector, plug in a noid light in its place. Crank the engine and you should see the light flash.

Hook up fuel pressure gauge to the injector rail test port that looks like a tire valve stem. Turn the key to run and let me know the pressure.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I’ll give these a try and get back to you

Keep in touch as needed.

I was able to check the spark and I did have spark. I also checked the fuel pressure and there was no fuel pressure detected
So maybe a bad fuel pump.

A bad pump, or no power or ground to the pump would be to blame for no fuel pressure with the key on.