Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2018 Holiday Rambler motor home, 380 hp diesel

Customer Question

I have a 2018 Holiday Rambler motor home, 380 hp diesel pusher with 4,700 miles on it. Yesterday, when I was 500 miles away from home. a Low Coolant alert came on the display. Since the engine temp was low I paid no attention about a hour later the check engine light came on. Temp still low, no other noticeable problems. Now I have to drive 600 miles back hom. Since I am having no problems and the engine is still running cool, should I chance the trip or find someone to check the coolant. I don't even know where the coolant fill tube is located.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

Sorry for the delay....

You do want to check the coolant level in the surge tank, if it was low then the check engine light can come on... What catches my attention is this is a 2018, sometimes if the engine is not ru up to temp. prior to sale the coolant can burp or have air in the lines, once the thermostat opens up the coolant level will drop down and when that happens the check coolant light will come on, of course this should have been checked but if the engine was not run up to temp. it could happen.

Check the engine compartment for a surge tank or reservoir make sure it is full. I would say it would be OK to drive, if you have a major problem the engine will derate to protect it's self and you will have a lack of power. I would still have this looked as the engine light will be the key as it will provide a DETAILED code to the problem....

Robert