RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

All 5 front roof clearance lights not working. Installed new…

Customer Question
All 5 front roof...

All 5 front roof clearance lights not working. Installed new lights. I cannot determine which wire is coming from the roof into the front fuse box to troubleshoot cause of failure. My motorhome is 1997 American eagle. Front dash cabling is very tight and difficult to determine which wire is coming from the roof clearance lights and which fuse it would be going to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes, all fuses are working correctly. The problem is identifying which wires are coming from the roof clearance lights to test voltage and find the problem source.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I checked all the fuses in the dash. The five clearance lights are new and have good connections. The problem is trying to identify which wire is coming down into the dash from the roof clearance lights to troubleshoot.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
11/25/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Were you able to see the colors when you replaces the lights? These are usually green and white. They are usually coming down at the post on the driver's side. You might also see the marker lights lead coming off the headlight switch. Do you see that or not?

No. The problem is the wiring in the dash is very congested. Yes, I figured they would be coming down the left "A" pillar post . The wiring I tapped into were white and black on the roof. I did not penetrate deep into the roof wiring. If I had good instructions on how to remove the interior ceiling cover without damaging it, I could trace the wiring from there. I just don't want to damage my ceiling cover. The ceiling cover has wood trim in strips securing the ceiling fabric as well as all the cabinets and side panels on the edges.

There is a chance that Fleetwood still has the wiring diagrams for this. I would give them a call at(###) ###-####on Monday and see. Be prepared to give them your FIN number as that is how they are filed. Did you try and see which colors were coming off the headlight switch? In my shop we would probably use a 12 VDC test light for probing some of the leads that we suspect would be the hot lead. For the ground any grounding lead would work. You would want to have everything else off and just turn on the marker lights.

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago

J​ust checking back in to see if you were able to get some wiring diagrams from Fleetwood on this?