RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

FRONT STEPS WILL NOT RETRACT. CHECKED FUSES, NO OPEN CIRCUIT…

Customer Question
FRONT STEPS WILL NOT...

FRONT STEPS WILL NOT RETRACT. CHECKED FUSES, NO OPEN CIRCUIT LIGHT ILLUMINATED AND BREAKERS LOOK OK. APPEARS NO POWER TO ELECT MOTOR. MANUAL MENTIONS TO CHECK STEP SWITCH, BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS OR WHERE. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, IS THERE A WAY TO MANUALLY RETRACT?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

CONSISTANT. NO POWER AT ALL

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2011 DAMON TUSCANY

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

LOOKED FOR LOOSE WIRES, BAD FUSES. TRIED WITH ENGINE ON AND OFF BUT ITS DEAD

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

CAN WE RETRACT MANUALLY IF NEED?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So this could be the motor or control box for the step. What you can do to get the step in is get a charged 12 volt drill battery and about 12" of wires and jump the motor direct, when you jump power direct to the motor it should want to come in or out. IF nothing happens swap the wires on the battery and step should retract for you. IF nothing still happens then the motor is bad as you are supplying direct voltage to it. Try tapping the motor as well, sometimes they can seize up and that will get them going.

The control box could as be at fault, it should have voltage going into the control box if you have voltage going into the control box and you can jump the step then the control box would be suspect. IF you have no voltage at the control box then there is to be a fuse at some point that is blown. Jumping power to the motor with a 12 volt source should get the step in for you.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert