RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I want to add a rooftop rack to a 2013 Leprachaun and not…

I want to add...

I want to add a rooftop rack to a 2013 Leprachaun and not hit any concealed wiring.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your RV. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

It has only 4 mounting points with thru bolts.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OK let me know what you will need.

I have an RV repair shop and when we mount these we never use any screws longer than 1" and put some Dicor 501 Lap Sealant on the spot first and then set the rack brackets into that and when the screws are snugged down you cover up the rest of the bracket and screw with Dicor as well. This helps add strength to the mounting and keeps it absolutely waterproof. I hope that helps here. Please get back to me if you need additional support or advice on this as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

The mounts came with stainless thru bolts is that truly a bad idea and either way is there any wiring or piping in the roof that I could damage ? I have experience with both aircraft and housing maintenance and service. Thank you in advance

A​s long as the screws are not longer than 1" you are fine. There is no good way to do "thru bolts" into the roof. The Dicor actually provides a much stronger mounting so the screws just need to barely go through the roof sheeting. Any wiring that go over any rafters (rare any more) are protected by a metal plate so you can't cut them. You are most welcome and please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification