RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have an atwood waterheater and the fault light is on and…

Customer Question
We have an atwood...

We have an atwood waterheater and the fault light is on and it won't work. What do I need to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

A small red light beside one of the waterheater switches.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Jayco Seneca 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Switching from electric to gas, turning off to possibly reset, checked breaker and fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We just replaced the electronic board less than a month ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
11/24/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​hat is the ignition light. Can you hear it trying to ignite or not? If not, the most likely cause is a blown fuse on the control board OR a bad thermal fuse on the lead into the thermostat. Clear plastic and what looks like a transistor inside. Low LP working pressure at the tank regulator is the usual cause of this blowing. It is a safety fuse to keep it from catching fire. I have attached the Atwood Service Manual link for you. Print this out so you have it. Very helpful to have. If you have a small digital multimeter or 12 VDC test light this is pretty easy to track down. I can direct you in that testing as part of the follow up here. No time limit and all exchanges between us are covered by our one time fee. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

If the board fuse is good, you can try bypassing the thermal fuse just to see if that corrects this. Let me know what happens and we can go from there.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!