RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Lost all power to all lights and furnace and ref.cked all

power sources . R...
lost all power to all lights and furnace and ref.cked all power sources . R v went Battery mode until went deadbut plugin out lets still had power
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent, even charged batterie and they were dead in about six hrs
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 27.5 BHS
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/23/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

H​ow old are the batteries? Most start to fail about 3 years. I would have them load tested to be sure they are viable and if you have or can get a small digital multimeter we can take some DC voltage readings and see if your charging system is working properly. Or it can be a blown fuse on the converter which is easy to fix. A meter is about $20 or so and easy to use. Great to have in your RV tool kit! Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. Just be sure you take a photo of the cables first before you disconnect them as it is easy to get this wrong when hooking them back up. Be sure that the terminals are clean and tight and free of corrosion. Hope that gives you a good starting point here. Please get back to me later and we can sort this out. All follow ups are included in our one time fee and there is no time limit.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

When you respond can you please give me the make and model number off your load center. That would be helpful. Most are made by WFCO, but they have numerous models.

If you check the fuses, most of these have two reverse polarity fuses set off to the side of the others. And if you get a meter and I don't happen to be around at the moment, you are looking for about 13.7 VDC at the batteries from the converter when plugged into shore power. Set the meter on "DC volts" on the "20" scale and red probe is positive and black probe is the negative. Let me know if you need more here. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
All of my wall plugs work fine, It appears to be all of the lights inside. Where is the converter located? IWill take the batteries out and look for installed date. Thanks. Have a nice turkey day

Some converters are integral with the load system and some are stand alone. If you get back to me with the make and model of yours I can tell you. With the meter you can check the voltage and see if it is working properly. And you are most welcome! You have a good one too!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification